UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Aug 2019, 1:20 am   #21
mickash
Hexode

Default Re: What do you have behind your TV?

I could fill a page with the things found behind customers TVs, mostly not very nice!

Michael.
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 6:31 am   #22
arjoll
Dekatron

Mediaportal TV server, switch, UPS, subwoofer, rats nest of cables and lots of dust..... I'll eventually get around to configuring a NUC I bought almost a year ago (!) as a Mediaportal client, then move the PC to the network cupboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190823_163920.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	188757  
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 9:13 am   #23
barrymagrec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanworland View Post
Apparently as a child of about 3? my mother would present me with a plate of sandwiches for lunch and if I wasn't keen on them I would 'dispose' of them behind the TV so she thought I had eaten them!

Alan
I did something like that with a completely undrinkable cup of Coffee a customer gave me - "accidently" left it under his tape machine - it was still there, covered in dry mould, when I went back some months later.
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 11:58 am   #24
vic0239
Tetrode

Is this cheating? My rat's nest is conveniently hidden within the stand, but still behind the TV!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0615.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	188769  
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 12:26 pm   #25
AC/HL
Dekatron

I've done that in the past. All neatly cable formed. It lasts until the first time you're in a rush!
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 12:55 pm   #26
Beobloke
Heptode

The wall and the motorised bracket for the TV.

When it was installed, the insttallers chiselled out the wall, installed conduit and ran all the cables down this so they are invisible, then plastered over it. They even removed the skirting board to run the cables that need to go under the carpet behind this!
Old 24th Aug 2019, 5:37 am   #27
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic0239 View Post
Is this cheating? My rat's nest is conveniently hidden within the stand, but still behind the TV!
I did buy some of that stuff to tidy up the cables, but never got around to sorting it out. One day....
Old 24th Aug 2019, 11:56 am   #28
Jeremy M0RVB
Hexode

I can report that there is now no dust behind our TV, having just re-done the rats nest after scrapping the Sky+HD box. But a few days ago there was 10 years of dust! One of the hamsters once dashed under the TV unit and the poor thing came out a completely different colour. So, 3 double 13A sockets, 3 double Cat5 faceplates, two dual RF ones, and now fairly tidy wiring having removed two far too long Ethernet cables that had wrapped around everything in sight, and removed a redundant Ethernet switch and associated wall-wart.
Old 24th Aug 2019, 5:01 pm   #29
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancs Lad View Post
We've recently had a thread about what's under your TV, but now I think it would be interesting to see what's BEHIND your TV!

How do you plug everything in?

Is it fairly tidy - or a proper rats nest of confusion?

Here's mine....
I still the looks of the newer style molded BS1363 plugs, better than those clunky earlier offerings.
Dave, as usual, USA NEMA oriented.
Old 24th Aug 2019, 5:16 pm   #30
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by valvecollector View Post
I can report that there is now no dust behind our TV, having just re-done the rats nest after scrapping the Sky+HD box. But a few days ago there was 10 years of dust! One of the hamsters once dashed under the TV unit and the poor thing came out a completely different colour. So, 3 double 13A sockets, 3 double Cat5 faceplates, two dual RF ones, and now fairly tidy wiring having removed two far too long Ethernet cables that had wrapped around everything in sight, and removed a redundant Ethernet switch and associated wall-wart.
If your set is a 36" CRT set that weighs 260 LBS or maybe 20 Stone, who could blame you!. Those sets are dangerous to handle. Pushing 75 YO, I can't chance it!
Even those flat panel LCD set are heavy in the larger sizes.
Closed Thread