UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Dec 2018, 9:38 pm   #1
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Valuation; Avo 100A transformer

Sitting deep within my junk box for some time is this transformer which I think enables you to measure up to 100A AC on the 100mA range of your Avo7. Can anyone tell me whether or not this is an object of any great value; I'm not sure many will want to use it but it may be collectable?

Thanks
B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020364.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	174322  
Old 10th Dec 2018, 11:02 pm   #2
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Valuation; Avo 100A transformer

Value sufficiently low to justify hanging onto it.. They don't really shift on selling websites, possibly everyone who wants them has them. (or the seller is highly optimistic of the 'value') I saw a rare one rated for the precision avometer for sale recently, but didn't buy it as i knew i would never use it.

I confined myself to getting a set for the Model 40 series just in case...still haven't used it but it does show continuity.

God bless clamp meters. you don't have to concentrate quite so much!

I would think someone on here would be likely to want to buy yours.

Dave
Old 11th Dec 2018, 12:09 am   #3
The Philpott
Dekatron

Sorry, i didn't actually answer the question:

IMHO the £50 people are too optimistic. Maybe just under half that for a smart one with nickel plating? Very difficult to say.

Dave
Old 11th Dec 2018, 3:42 pm   #4
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Thanks for that suggestion Dave. I've owned it for a very long time but never used it. It's quite a weighty item, so I think it's probably time to let it go as part of my 'junk box cull', though this seems to be a fairly futile activity that never seems to achieve a great deal .

B
Old 11th Dec 2018, 4:23 pm   #5

Perhaps i have a sweet home for it....

Old 11th Dec 2018, 5:01 pm   #6

I have many "collectable" things by virtue of me collecting them, most would have cost a lot in their day. Fun stuff to own and admire (they did make them properly then) and all of them still work.

Old 11th Dec 2018, 5:12 pm   #7
David Simpson
Nonode

Hi Bazz,
Years ago, AVO had a range of bespoke shunts, multipliers, and current transformers like yours, for their range of 7's, 8's & 9's analogue mm's. Possibly someone restoring vintage (Lister ?)DC Generator Plant, or old 24V boat's supplies might be keen on your current t/f. Just for the look of it. These days, as Dave says, restoration folk would most likely use a more modern clamp-meter for safety & accuracy.

Regards, David
Old 11th Dec 2018, 5:46 pm   #8
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

This kind of stuff is always interesting, which I suppose is why I acquired it; it's a piece of British electro-mechanical kit which is so distinctive in terms of its heritage. However, I think it now has to go on my de-cluttering pile. For some reason it made me think of tram-cars, but I don't know whether they ran AC or DC...or both?

B
Old 12th Dec 2018, 1:27 am   #9
The Philpott
Dekatron

Trams mainly DC. Hence those big beautiful mercury arc rectifiers!
Old 12th Dec 2018, 11:06 am   #10
David Simpson
Nonode

Right enough Bazz, disposing of interesting old items can be a worry. In the last year or two I've had a bit of a clear-out. I found that our local Heritage Museum would take certain radio/electronic/photographic/etc. items which had a local connection. A nearby Railway Heritage Trust is also interested in vintage switchgear & metering.
So ask around your locality. Is there a Tramway restoration trust in a nearby town or city ?

Regards, David
Old 12th Dec 2018, 11:12 am   #11
Superscope
Octode

Hi Bazz,

There might be a very worthy Home for it on Post #5

Ian
Closed Thread