UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Dec 2018, 3:53 pm   #1
rontech
Heptode

Default Remote control of tuning late 1930's

I have observed that a number of top range radiograms in the late 1930' had remote control options with an armchair push button unit. This was at the end of a captive cable of course.

They seemed to be combined with motorised tuning capacitors but I was wondering just how the electrical & mechanical systems worked. Eg did the row of selector buttons have a manufacturer defined set of stations, or could the user "program" in some way the specific wavelength for each button?

For the manufacturer set stations I could envisage for example a set of microswitches riding on a detent wheel mounted on the tuning capacitor shaft.

Otherwise I am at a loss and would love know how the arrangements worked.
Old 10th Dec 2018, 4:04 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Remote control of tuning late 1930's

The usual "motorised" tuning used mechanical, user-settable stops on a disc which tripped a contact when the stop got to the right place, disconnecting the motor (and frequently putting a short across the motor to provide regenerative braking so it came to a stop promptly). Pressing the tune-button tripped a relay and re-energised the motor so it moved the disc round to the next stop. if you were lucky your radio automatically reversed when it got to the end of the waveband.

The ~programming~ was usually by way of loosening a screw on a particular stop, tuning the station manually then tightening the screw. A similar though manually-turned idea was implemented as "flick" settings on many WWII-era military radios.

Frequency-drift as components aged and the set warmed up could be an issue - some of the posher models used a discriminator and a reactance-valve to provide AFC to overcome this.

[I remember that there were also a couple of US models where the auto-tune was done using manufacturer-programmed discs with holes: the right disc for your town/city would be fitted by the supplying dealer. Understandably, given the number of discs needed in the US, where there were many more radio-stations operating than we ever had in the UK, the idea never caught on. I vaguely recall something about a lawsuit where the operators of some stations sued the radio-manufacturer in question because they had taken bribes from other station-operators not to include the 'competition' on the pre-programmed station-discs. This was the 1930s, shades of Eliot Ness and Al Capone!]
Old 10th Dec 2018, 6:10 pm   #3
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Default Re: Remote control of tuning late 1930's

There was also at least one 1930s Philco with Wireless remote control.
Closed Thread