UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Nov 2020, 2:43 pm   #21
Radio Scotland
Heptode

Default Re: Help needed with Bush TR82-CL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
An alkaline PP3 is about 500mAH. A TR82's idle current is around 10mA so perhaps 50 hours. Rather less for zinc-carbon types.

The TR82 was designed for PP9 batteries- zinc-carbon ones are about 4500mAH or about 10X the life of a PP3.

A convenient substitute (though still somewhat shorter life) for a PP9 is 6AA alkaline cells in a holder stuffed into an old PP9 battery case. A useful side effect of this is that leaky batteries will only destroy a fairly cheap battery holder rather than the innards of the radio itself!
Brilliant, Exactly the info i was looking for, I have a multi AA holder so i'll use that and save the PP3's for my DMM,

Only just seen your reply, Never got any notification

Cheers
Old 21st Nov 2020, 2:47 pm   #22
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioScotland View Post
Still finding my way round the various bush models, So there was never a TR82 Without any suffix or a TR82A ?
The original transistor models were the TR82B and C, which mean more or less brass and chrome, with attendant detail changes such as lettering colours. They're electronically identical. The CL add Luxembourg, as was the fashion then, and the Mk2 "upgrades" to AF117s.
Old 21st Nov 2020, 3:21 pm   #23
Radio Scotland
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
Quote:
Still finding my way round the various bush models, So there was never a TR82 Without any suffix or a TR82A ?
The original transistor models were the TR82B and C, which mean more or less brass and chrome, with attendant detail changes such as lettering colours. They're electronically identical. The CL add Luxembourg, as was the fashion then, and the Mk2 "upgrades" to AF117s.
Ok think iv'e got it now, And theres the excellent 82/97 And a few other modern repros DAB etc

Cheers

Jay
Old 21st Nov 2020, 3:29 pm   #24
AC/HL
Dekatron

You'll find they qualify as "Modern Technology" here, kept distinct from the vintage stuff. As far as I know, despite appearances, nothing is interchangeable. They do have a few admirers though.
Old 21st Nov 2020, 4:23 pm   #25
Radio Scotland
Heptode

Each to their own regarding the reproductions.

A few other questions regarding this radio.

(1) Why does it use high voltage capacitors when the supply voltage is only 9 volts ?

(2) Would changing the RF/IF Transistors from the standard ones knock the alignment out ?

Cheers
Old 21st Nov 2020, 4:51 pm   #26
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:

(1) Why does it use high voltage capacitors when the supply voltage is only 9 volts ?

(2) Would changing the RF/IF Transistors from the standard ones knock the alignment out ?

Cheers
1) Simply because the lowest voltage paper capacitors available at the time were rated around 125V. Electrolytics of course are a different matter and most in the set are rated at 10 or 15V.

2) Probably not enough to notice regarding the IF transistors. The mixer/oscillator will be more critical since this produces the IF frequency.
Old 21st Nov 2020, 5:15 pm   #27
Radio Scotland
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
Quote:

Cheers
1) Simply because the lowest voltage paper capacitors available at the time were rated around 125V. Electrolytics of course are a different matter and most in the set are rated at 10 or 15V.

2) Probably not enough to notice regarding the IF transistors. The mixer/oscillator will be more critical since this produces the IF frequency.
Ok so if any of the caps were to fail they could easily be replaced by caps of a lower voltage rating,

Cheers
Old 21st Nov 2020, 5:20 pm   #28
Radio Scotland
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
Quote:
Mixer/osc & second I.F are testing faulty, Rather than try and zap tin whiskers only for them to grow back i might just replace them,

Anybody know if the AF121 Is a suitable replacement ?
AF121 would probably work but it's a bit "hot" to waste in a LW/MW set. Save them for a VTR103?

The Russian GT322b devices at around a pound each nowadays are good AF11x replacements with suitably extended, crossed and sleeved legs!
Just noticed your post chris,

To late just ordered up some AF121's but i'll know what to go for next time i need some replacements

Cheers
Jay
Old 21st Nov 2020, 5:36 pm   #29
Radio Scotland
Heptode

One more question regarding this radio (for the time being)

I'm sure the answer to this is lurking somewhere on the forum,

But whats the best way to go about cleaning the case and buffing it up ?
Old 24th Nov 2020, 7:16 pm   #30
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Give it a good clean with something such as CIF kitchen cleaner then when dry use a mild abrasive polish such as T CUT or metal polish wadding to finish off polish with a dry cloth.
Be very careful of anything that is printed such as lettering etc.

I can't believe how many versions of the TR82 were produced especially if you take cosmetic changes into account. I have a TR82 with three buttons on the top. One is dedicated to 208 the old radio Luxembourg frequency.

They used to turn up at the tip in regular numbers in the 80's. I used to pull off the good examples. The PP9 lasted forever as it did in many early transistor radios.
Happy Days. John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TR82..jpg
Views:	105
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	221184  
Old 24th Nov 2020, 7:44 pm   #31
Radio Scotland
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Give it a good clean with something such as CIF kitchen cleaner then when dry use a mild abrasive polish such as T CUT or metal polish wadding to finish off polish with a dry cloth.
Be very careful of anything that is printed such as lettering etc.

I can't believe how many versions of the TR82 were produced especially if you take cosmetic changes into account. I have a TR82 with three buttons on the top. One is dedicated to 208 the old radio Luxembourg frequency.

They used to turn up at the tip in regular numbers in the 80's. I used to pull off the good examples. The PP9 lasted forever as it did in many early transistor radios.
Happy Days. John.

Cheers for the cleaning tips john.

Apparently there was a three band version that had a ''trawler'' band whatever that is.

Currently running mine on 6 X AA batteries, But plan to add a socket in place of the external aerial socket so i can run it from a mains adaptor.

Jay
Old 25th Nov 2020, 10:25 am   #32
tim.norris
Hexode

Jay, take a look at member Robert Darwents GOUHF ,website, www.wavesintheair.co.uk , he goes into great detail about the history of every one of these iconic models , but be careful if you get hooked you will end up with loads of them ! don`t ask me how I know ! The first one the MB60 valve model is my favourite sounding model , not that rare but hard to find with its original and unique mains plug. Then there are the rare export models including the very rare etr82 hybrid (valve and transistor) radio . i could go on , hope this is of some help, regards, Tim.

Last edited by tim.norris; 25th Nov 2020 at 10:37 am.
Old 25th Nov 2020, 12:20 pm   #33
Radio Scotland
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim.norris View Post
Jay, take a look at member Robert Darwents GOUHF ,website, www.wavesintheair.co.uk , he goes into great detail about the history of every one of these iconic models , but be careful if you get hooked you will end up with loads of them ! don`t ask me how I know ! The first one the MB60 valve model is my favourite sounding model , not that rare but hard to find with its original and unique mains plug. Then there are the rare export models including the very rare etr82 hybrid (valve and transistor) radio . i could go on , hope this is of some help, regards, Tim.
Cheers tim, Interesting link, I tend not to collect valve models as they take up to much space. And yea a small collection can quickly turn in to a massive one, But nothing wrong with window shopping online Ha.

Jay
Old 5th Dec 2020, 6:35 pm   #34
Radio Scotland
Heptode

Managed to get the chassis out of the case, A string round the dial is a very effective way of removing it

The top two chassis mounting points need work, Apart from cleaning the band switch is there any other work i should do whilst i have the radio stripped down ?

Also i plan on giving the case a good wash in the sink, Is it best to remove the tuning scale before washing it ?
Old 5th Dec 2020, 7:18 pm   #35
Radio Scotland
Heptode

Think i'll forget the sink idea and use kitchen cleaner as suggested above
Old 5th Dec 2020, 7:54 pm   #36
vinrads
Dekatron

I would suggest leaving the dial if it is stuck well , try and keep strong detergent away from it , I normally give it a gentle wipe , Mick.
Old 5th Dec 2020, 8:04 pm   #37
Radio Scotland
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrads View Post
I would suggest leaving the dial if it is stuck well , try and keep strong detergent away from it , I normally give it a gentle wipe , Mick.
Cheers mick but its gonna need more than a gentle wipe,

Have a discreet mod in mind, This involves removing the aerial socket and replacing it with a power socket so the radio can be run from an external 9 volt supply, I'll also sneak in a voltage regulator too.

Cheers
Jay
Old 5th Dec 2020, 8:44 pm   #38
Davewantsone
Hexode

I would stick to using a 6 AA cell battery holder. A mains power supply of 9V DC on these receiver will usually result in a lot of mains derived interference. You would lose the benefit of portability, and originallity.

Last edited by Davewantsone; 5th Dec 2020 at 8:50 pm.
Old 5th Dec 2020, 9:02 pm   #39
Radio Scotland
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davewantsone View Post
I would stick to using a 6 AA cell battery holder. A mains power supply of 9V DC on these receiver will usually result in a lot of mains derived interference. You would lose the benefit of portability, and originallity.
I'll be using a linear power supply dave so should be ok noise wise. Won't be using it portable so thats not a problem, As for originallity the mods i'm planning can be quickly undone. So it'll be easy to put it back to stock,

Jay
Old 6th Dec 2020, 3:21 pm   #40
Radio Scotland
Heptode

Looking for some tips on how to repair the chassis mounting points, Epoxy seems to be the most common method according to what i've read. But i was thinking of using some self tapping screws to hold the clips in place, Anybody tried doing this ?

This radio kinda baffles me a bit. It seems to be a lot bigger than it had to be given the time period it was manufactured in, And point to point wiring when PCB Were becoming common placed, Its like bush took the valves out their earlier set and stuck transistors in and left it at that,

And what is the hole next to the volume control? Left over from the valve chassis ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0210.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	221978   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0209.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	221979