UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Nov 2020, 8:43 pm   #1
James Duncan
Pentode

Default Russian valve tester

can anyone provide some info on this valve tester
I came with a real lot of cards but these do not seem to be for the usual radio valves, the only one being a 5u4g
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2076.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	220023   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2074.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	220024  

Last edited by AC/HL; 9th Nov 2020 at 8:57 pm. Reason: Image rotated
Old 9th Nov 2020, 9:00 pm   #2
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Default Re: Russian valve tester

It reminds me a little of this tester

https://jacmusic.com/Tube-testers/L3...libr-L3-3.html

Cheers,

GJ
Old 10th Nov 2020, 12:11 am   #3
Chaparal
Hexode

It's an IL 13 Tube Tester.

see schema here

Peter
Attached Files
File Type: zip IL_13 - Tube Tester - schema.zip (40.4 KB, 104 views)
Old 10th Nov 2020, 8:57 am   #4
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Thanks for posting the schematic but I cannot view the file format, can you post it as pdf please.

Peter
Old 10th Nov 2020, 9:24 am   #5
chriswood1900
Octode

It looks like this one https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/frunze...ter_il_13.html
They seem to be well regarded and there is info about changes and improvements on the web.
Please keep us posted on how you get on.
Old 10th Nov 2020, 9:52 am   #6
trh01uk
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronpusher0 View Post
Thanks for posting the schematic but I cannot view the file format, can you post it as pdf please.

Peter
Peter,

assuming you can unpack the zip file, the file inside is djvu format. You just need to install the reader software, which can be downloaded (for free) from here: http://www.djvu.org/resources/

Richard
Old 10th Nov 2020, 10:34 am   #7
trh01uk
Octode

Peter,

I managed to convert the djvu file to PDF (see enclosed) quite simply by opening it in the DjVu reader, saving it as a .bmp file, then saving it as PDF in XnView.

Looks like a pretty standard valve tester to me - except that it doesn't have those rotary switches beloved by AVO. Instead it has a "plug board" - which you can see right in the centre of the pic on the Radio Museum listing (and yours of course). Each socket appears to be a split socket - with two halves - that are made when a metal plug or pin is inserted. Do you have these?

Richard
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IL_13 - Tube Tester - schema.pdf (153.9 KB, 97 views)
Old 10th Nov 2020, 12:27 pm   #8
David Simpson
Nonode

I'll echo Chris Wood's request that progress reports would be greatly appreciated. Amongst the valve tester/testing fraternity there has been a rumour that there was a Russian valve tester which was even better than an AVO VCM or a Hickok, but very little is known about them. I ken sfa.

Regards, David
Old 10th Nov 2020, 12:32 pm   #9
trh01uk
Octode

David,

in what sense "even better"? What's your criteria for "goodness" in a valve tester?

Richard
Old 10th Nov 2020, 2:19 pm   #10
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by trh01uk View Post
Peter,

assuming you can unpack the zip file, the file inside is djvu format. You just need to install the reader software, which can be downloaded (for free) from here: http://www.djvu.org/resources/

Richard
Thanks for posting as pdf Richard.
I unpacked it but did not want to install yet another reader. pdf is pretty much the de-facto standard when sharing documents.

Peter
Old 10th Nov 2020, 5:36 pm   #11
David Simpson
Nonode

Richard, must've been a few years back, & I can't remember the folk who mentioned Russian VT's. I suspect that their views were based on robustness, reliability & accuracy. As I said, personally, I ken sfa about Russian VT's, but in general would like to learn how they work & how good they are.
Actually. I've kent JD for quite a few years, and can't think of anyone more qualified, electronics-wise, to delve into this rare vintage item. Makes a nice change from folk phooking AVO VCM's & CT160's etc., left, right & centre.
I've a decent SOVTEC KT66 somewhere, think I'll DC standardise it & send it up the coast to Wick.

Regards, David
Old 10th Nov 2020, 8:55 pm   #12
neutronic
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Simpson View Post
I'll echo Chris Wood's request that progress reports would be greatly appreciated. Amongst the valve tester/testing fraternity there has been a rumour that there was a Russian valve tester which was even better than an AVO VCM or a Hickok, but very little is known about them. I ken sfa.

Regards, David
I think that they mean the Sovjet Kalibr L3-3,which you can find in the list of the following link:
https://jacmusic.com/Tube-testers/
Jard N.
Old 10th Nov 2020, 9:43 pm   #13
James Duncan
Pentode

Thank you all for the useful information, the circuit is very straight forward, thanks for that, very useful
I have opened up the tester and the build quality is superb.
VERY robust construction, so much better build than my Jackson valve tester
The valves are fine and none of the components seem suspect.
The series current drawn by the tester remains static so that is a good sign.
no poor Xmer etc
I feel it will be in working condition.

I just do not know how to interpret the letters and numbers on the cards.
Has anyone got any info on these, there are 140 of them.
I could photograph some as samples if anyone would like that
MM0HDW
Old 10th Nov 2020, 9:49 pm   #14
James Duncan
Pentode

Peter
thank you so much, this was very useful
stay safe
MM0HDW
Old 10th Nov 2020, 9:51 pm   #15
trh01uk
Octode

Hmm, that L3-3 is interesting, but I am not convinced by the use of the cards. If you don't have the right card, you can't test the valve. And cards are either "free" (but risky if you read the warning) or cost a "few euros" each. Could get expensive - and for me frustrating because I didn't have the card I needed. I think I prefer the AVO method, which is very versatile for just about any valve made.

It looks like the IL-13 has a similar board of sockets - so presumably also needs these cards.

Richard
Old 10th Nov 2020, 10:12 pm   #16
pmmunro
Octode

This Russian valve tester appears at first glance to have something in common with German Röhrenprüfgerät such as those made by Bittorf & Funke and others. e.g. http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Roeh...ke-W18/W18.htm

It could even have been a design "acquired" from East Germany, although this is entirely speculative.

For those interested in valve testing technology, it might be interesting to look at German websites which relate to valve testers which are not at all well known here such as https://www.welt-der-alten-radios.de...eraete-29.html

http://translate.google.com/translat...iofundgrube.de Much of the information is offered in English as well as German and sometimes other languages.

This modern, computer controlled design might also be of interest. http://roehrentest.de/
Old 11th Nov 2020, 2:07 pm   #17
James Duncan
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by trh01uk View Post
Hmm, that L3-3 is interesting, but I am not convinced by the use of the cards. If you don't have the right card, you can't test the valve. And cards are either "free" (but risky if you read the warning) or cost a "few euros" each. Could get expensive - and for me frustrating because I didn't have the card I needed. I think I prefer the AVO method, which is very versatile for just about any valve made.

It looks like the IL-13 has a similar board of sockets - so presumably also needs these cards.

Richard
Hi Richard
I agree with your remark re the old AVO, if one has the valve info the switches can be set to match, I had one decades ago and I am serious when I say i do wish I still had the old AVO.

However the tester in question came with 140 cards secured in the tester lid,these look unused as does the entire tester I just seem to be at a loss as how to translate these letters and numbers.
Must be some way over this, someone will know, I hope.
thanks again
MM0HDW
Old 11th Nov 2020, 11:43 pm   #18
pmmunro
Octode

I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you want to translate but have you tried Google Translate on a smart 'phone?

For example, the text under the valve symbol in your first photograph translate to "Small Lamp (Valve) Tester".

PMM
Old 12th Nov 2020, 8:06 am   #19
Electronpusher0
Nonode

I am sure the OP will clarify but I read that as wanting to understand how the holes in the card are decided for each valve, when testing a valve that you do not have a card for how do you decide which holes need plugs.

Peter
Old 12th Nov 2020, 8:35 am   #20
trh01uk
Octode

Just came across https://translate.googleusercontent....UWgur9HREvzpaQthis webpage - that's the translation into english from the original russian.

It opens with: "IL-13 is designed for quickly orienting health check of the most common types of receiving-amplifying tubes, kenotrons and generator tubes with anode dissipated in the power up to 40 watts ."

It translates the word for "tubes" as "lamps" in most of it. And "kenotrons" were apparently a high voltage diode used in X-ray machines. There is quite a bit of detail on what voltages it can offer.

I found this link in a russian audio/hi-fi discussion group here - and there may well be useful comments on there as well.

Richard
Closed Thread