UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2020, 4:40 pm   #1
Wendymott
Octode

Default Marconi TF2700 Bridge

Hi Peeps....
I hope you learned members may shed some light on a problem I have come across.
I needed some 220uH RF chokes....... as I had in stock some of the mini axial types that are obviously Ferrite based, I decided to check the values on my Marconi bridge, where I got some very variable results, as in measuring well below that value. And the bridge was not balancing all that well. Putting the same inductors on my Electronic LCR meter, it gives a very near 220uH reading.
I suspect the Marconi was designed well before these modern components, but I would have expected some reasonable correlation of measurement.
The Marconi measuring frequency is 1 Khz.....The Chinese meter has 3 options 100 Hz 1 Khz and 10Khz.... all with similar readings.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 23rd Nov 2020, 10:05 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Marconi TF2700 Bridge

Hi Wendy, low value inductors, especially with low resistance can be difficult to measure on these Marconi bridges. Correct adjustment of the loss balance is essential or you can wind up chasing a null down to zero.
It is often a 2 handed operation to get balance

Ed
Old 23rd Nov 2020, 11:04 pm   #3
Dickie
Octode

I've just tried a 470uH choke on my TF2700 and it produced a nice sharp null at 440uH and also managed to get a resistance reading of 25R, but the null was a bit more indistinct. So maybe your 2700 is faulty?

Richard, BVWS member
Old 24th Nov 2020, 12:27 am   #4
Wendymott
Octode

Hi Ed..... I always use two hands with the TF2700........ Dickie.... It does "null" with larger values as 470nH..... but down at the 220uH it is very difficult to see a dip.
If it was faulty I would expect all sorts of errors.. not just on inductors...maybe I should measure small inductors with my other test jig which is a Vakar osc .. frequency counter and calculator. I use this on SMD inductors.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 24th Nov 2020, 7:54 am   #5
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Yep, mine is tricky to use too on unknown L's and C's as well as tricky down the bottom end, there's an art to using them.

Andy.
Old 24th Nov 2020, 10:59 am   #6
Wendymott
Octode

I used to use the "other" Marconi bridge when I worked at Bradford uni...the one with the sloping front.... sorry I dont know the model number..but I do like the TF2700, its small.ish to fit in the cupboard ...and it works well on the mid to larger values.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 24th Nov 2020, 12:34 pm   #7
barrymagrec
Octode

Tf1313a.
Closed Thread