UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Nov 2020, 12:30 pm   #1
chombo7
Diode

Default Vintage Fidelity Record Player

Hi, and thanks for having me here. I have just brought a Fidelity and think its a HF29, will post some pictures so you can see, its a 1964 and has been stored for 50years, it all works and sounds fine sound is good as well volume crackles only when you turn it louder then crackle stops and sound is fine, I need to renew mains lead and service the deck, I am reading your reviving old record player thread its really helpful, do I need to replace any of the parts out of age after taking it apart I noticed the big brown resister with orange end has like ball of wax stuff and looked like its dripped a small amount picture with red triangle pointing, the same is happening to the other one you can see in the picture, if they need replacing would you tell me the replacement ones I need I am ok with soldering as I have been rc modelling for many years, I'm retired now did have one of these record player in my teens.

The valves are UL84 and UY85
The pick up head as picture can I play mono and stereo with this head.

The service data sheet only goes up to HF28 is it the same for HF29
Thank you. Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arrow.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	220873   Click image for larger version

Name:	fidelity HF29.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	220874   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201118_135122.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	220875  
Old 21st Nov 2020, 1:20 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage Fidelity Record Player

You cannot play Stereo records with the BSR TC8H cartridge as in your photo. It will damage them, but it's OK for old Mono LPs, 45s and 78s. The brown surge resistor you cite does run very hot and often will look burned. Why do you feel you need to change the mains lead? It's important that the neutral wire on the mains lead must be wired to the amplifier's metal chassis via the on/off switch as your player uses a "live" (i.e. non-mains isolated) chassis. The volume and tone controls can be cleaned with a spray contact cleaner - Servisol 10.
Old 21st Nov 2020, 2:01 pm   #3
paulsherwin

I've no idea of your level of expertise, but you should take care not to exceed your level of competence. As Edward says, these are live chassis designs, and while they were safe when they left the factory, 60 years will have taken a toll on the isolation components, and an incorrect repair or modification can be very dangerous. If you're in any doubt, you should pay a professional to service it for you.
Old 21st Nov 2020, 3:57 pm   #4
chombo7
Diode

The existing flex is single insulated type would need to be changed, I don't intend to change or modify anything only the mains cable, just asking advice, is there not a cartridge made to play mono and stereo records.
Old 21st Nov 2020, 6:20 pm   #5
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chombo7 View Post
is there not a cartridge made to play mono and stereo records.
Yes there are some available BUT the problem is that your record player is of very simple design and has only one amplifying valve (the other is a rectifier just supplying the power to the amplifying valve). Because of this, the cartridge was required to be a high output crystal type (for example TC8H....H for high output). Most replacements today will be ceramic M types....medium output and will give a lower volume than the original.

Any crystal types you might see for sale on auction sites will probably have failed long ago or will do so fairly quickly. The crystal element absorbs moisture over the years and disintegrates and also the rubber supports go sticky and just stop being supports.

Many members on here should be able to advise on a suitable replacement type but be prepared for a lower volume.
Old 21st Nov 2020, 6:49 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chombo7 View Post
The existing flex is single insulated type would need to be changed, I don't intend to change or modify anything only the mains cable, just asking advice, is there not a cartridge made to play mono and stereo records.
It's not essential that your mains flex has to be changed, but if you do decide you need to do this, just ensure that the blue core goes to the chassis.

As for a pick up cartridge to play stereo and mono records, you will need to search for a used high-output, stereo-compatible cartridge. Typical UK made types are BSR X5H and Acos GP91/3sc. They will be difficult to find and are liable to be quite expensive c.£40-00. They will also be 50 years old! You can fit a NOS medium-output cartridge, but it will only play rather quietly on LPs. You can of course buy a new mono-only cartridge, but it will damage your stereo LPs. Just about everyone who buys these types of players will have this same problem, don't think it's just you!
Old 23rd Nov 2020, 12:24 pm   #7
chombo7
Diode

Thank you for your pointers much appreciated will only be playing old mono records keep cartridge as is, I do own and can use a multimeter but am far
from expert with electronics, I do understand the live chassis design of this old player, just need to know do you think I should change the old wax resister/capacitor and will the big can be ok I don't want these failing weeks down the line, I have removed deck and power board now as recovering carcase.
Old 23rd Nov 2020, 2:18 pm   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

If it's still working alright, then I would leave well alone. If there's hum and/or the tone control is irresponsive - then you can think about changing the main electrolytic (next to the UL84) and the tone control capacitor coming off from the tone potentiometer.