UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Nov 2020, 12:05 pm   #1
Ronners
Pentode

Default GEC BC 5442 repair project

Hi there all
i have acquired a GEC BC5442 circa 1951 ish I have checked out the transformer etc renewed all the wax caps but still no joy works great on the PU side but no reception on any of the three bands any ideas please. I also have a second one of these in working order should I try swapping the valves over to see if that makes a difference? Best regards Ron H.
Old 22nd Nov 2020, 12:44 pm   #2
Simon Gittins
Heptode

Default Re: GEC BC 5442 repair project

Having a working example to compare with should be a great help. As you have changed all the wax capacitors, I would suggest checking your work carefully, perhaps comparing one set with the other; it's all too easy make a mistake.
Valve swapping should narrow the fault down (although you just might end up with neither set working if you are very unlucky). I would suggest checking whether the local oscillator is working by seeing if you can pick it up on a working set.
Old 22nd Nov 2020, 1:05 pm   #3
Ronners
Pentode

Thanks for that Simon one thought that has crossed my mind as I am a newby to this hobby in retirement is there a minimum voltage requirement on the replacement caps as service sheet only gives uF values. Best regards Ron H.
Old 22nd Nov 2020, 1:23 pm   #4
Cobaltblue

You normally look at the highest HT and add a bit.

So in this case I would use 400V caps except for the fixed tone correction capacitor C17 on manufacturers sheet) where I tend to use 1000V but many use 630V.

You can of course use lower voltages for caps in the AGC and the Audio coupling (C13) but not C15, but in the end I just stock 400V types 1000V types and a few 250V types for Battery radios.

Unless there is a physical size constraint it makes little difference you can also be guided by the voltages on those you are replacing,

You need to be more careful with electrolytic they don't like being massively under run so don't replace a 12v Cathode bypass with a 400V type use a 25V type. (this set doesn't have a cathode bypass Electrolytic)

Cheers

Mike T

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 22nd Nov 2020 at 1:27 pm. Reason: Electrolytics
Old 22nd Nov 2020, 1:36 pm   #5
Ronners
Pentode

Thanks for that Mike i suspect through my naivety I may have used too smaller value caps I will re order and change very useful information. Best regards Ron H.
Old 22nd Nov 2020, 5:18 pm   #6
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Hi Ron, try to establish a fault or a theory first. It’s very rare that valves fail in domestic sets.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 22nd Nov 2020, 6:31 pm   #7
Ronners
Pentode

Cheers will do Al thanks for your support. best regards Ron H.
Closed Thread