UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 7th May 2006, 10:58 pm   #21
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: The NVCF.......

Although I was busy in the TV ghetto for most of the time I got the impression that it was a friendly, busy and buzzy meeting. I have heard that the attendance was probably at a new record for an NVCF. If there are many more people I think there's a real risk of overcrowding in the hall. There's just not much room for many more people or tables. Sean (m1ecy) has made this point rather more strongly in his first post.

It's nice having the whole venue rather than feeling like you are a very small part of a huge exhibition complex. Even if the buildings are, to quote Sean, "ex agricultural stores". We're here for the stuff and the people, not the building.

For folks coming from London and the south east it's a few miles closer than the NEC. For those in black pudding latitudes I suppose it's not a lot further.

It was good to meet old friends and put faces to names from the forum.

Finally thanks to the organisers (notably Guy and Mike but I'm sure there were others in vital roles) who made the event an undoubted and enjoyable success.
Old 7th May 2006, 11:07 pm   #22
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ecy
Sellers ought to be instructed to not encrouch on the gangways - if they have that much stuff to need to overspill then they ought to have purchased more table space.
Sellers ARE instructed to not encrouch on the gangways in the event rules on the booking form. Unfortunately they don't all take notice of the rules, and it's difficult to enforce as the organisers can't be everywhere during the setting up period.

Some sellers also don't always take notice of the rule about not leaving rubbish, so it looks like the BVWS will get a bill for cleaning again. Fortunately it was only disposable cups, paper and other rubbish (which they should have put in the bins), not equipment.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 7th May 2006, 11:13 pm   #23
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin
For folks coming from London and the south east it's a few miles closer than the NEC. For those in black pudding latitudes I suppose it's not a lot further.
For me from Hereford, and others travelling in from the M5, it's probably about the same distance. Plus it avoids that horrible stretch of the M42 with variable speed limits and dozens of speed cameras.

Paul Stenning
Old 8th May 2006, 7:52 am   #24
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

This was the first NVCF that I attended, but I must say that the venue and parking arrangements were nothing short of excellent.
My only slight gripe was the map on the BVWS site - I hope that this is constructive criticism:
  • Needs to show junctions on M69
  • Distances shown on approach roads would be good
  • Entrance shown was on wrong road!
Yeah - I know, everyone else had no problem at all. We did ask two local people at a filling station on Coventry ring road and neither had heard of the venue! (that is not a complaint, just an observation).

Nice to put a few more faces to names and meet those I already know - did not spot a few familiar ones - Mickjjo, TVDen, M1ECY (you see, only I could miss Sean!)

Distance for us was 206km one way - just nice for a day's run out.
Old 8th May 2006, 8:25 am   #25
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Hi All dont get me wrong - I was just really pointing out observations and ideas reallly - the event did, after all go off without problem.

The main gripe on the location is purely regarding image - I guess this is really a case of how the NVCF is interpreted - is is a Premier UK event to compete with other international events (certainly my impression of previous events held at the NEC) or has the focus shifted to something that is really more akin to a Harpenden event?

If it is shifting to the latter, then the venue is indeed perfect, however, if it is the former, then if any expansion is wanted, and if we wish to attract more interest then the venue needs to be bigger, and located in a better position.

Catch 22 here, and of course we cannot make everyone happy - I did enjoy the time I was there as I have said. It is good to hear that the event was in profit even before the final bean counting - I am certain this should be the case for all events to remain viable

I would think that the BVWS needs a bigger stall for next year, and a bring and buy type stall is a huge bonus, both for the BVWS and the visitors that cannot justify having a table at the event (I did bring a quantity of books to dispose of, but sadly due to a lack of manpower no stall was present. I know of at least one other that came loaded with stuff to go)

I am more than happy to offer help if I get enough notice of dates to book leave........

Cheers
Sean
Old 8th May 2006, 8:43 am   #26
Duke_Nukem
Octode

I'm still knackered.

I didn't buy anything other than a few books. Couldn't really since the car was full of tellies.

Took an age to find the place but that's because some muppet got lost in Leamington I did have my map in the glove box - so I eventually pulled over and started to unload some tellies so I could open it and get the map out ! BTW, there are some _wicked_ spead bumps in Leamington, I know, I drove over every one of them at least once.

Did seem a good range of stuff on sale and if the car had been empty then there is a chance a mirror lid Ekco set would have found its way in there. There was also a bit more space in the gangways that at the MM which was good.

As for the TV display, never seen so many sets on in one room at one time. All the more remarkable that four or five of them were pre-war. My little Pye D18T looked almost lost amongst the other big sets there but it pictured it's little heart out before it was obviously in difficulties and switched off an hour before the end (suspect new EY51 needed).

If there were an award for the "set of the show" I think it has to be Dazzlevision's KB featherlite. Imagine a mid-80's small plastic cabinet portable telly - now timewarp it back 20 years and completely replace the inards with valves ! It kicked out so much heat that I was convinced that by the end of the day we'd be scraping it's molten remains off the table but it didn't even skip a beat all day.

The catering was ok. After my initial shock of noticing that egg&chips was over a fiver I noticed everything else was far more reasonable and you certainly got decent sized portions. I just had chips and I think they were above average for the type of place.

On the way back there was a car on the hard shoulder and I think I noticed Dave Moll in my rear view mirror ? I know he was trying to carry a Decca projection screen on a roof rack so if it was him hope he got back ok.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 8th May 2006, 9:01 am   #27
Panrock
Nonode

What a day ! I think the slightly cramped farmyard 'down home' nature of the venue actually added to the atmosphere and social intimacy of the event; I don't think I've ever known a more memorable day of 'networking' when I got to speak to everyone I wanted to. I just can't imagine this having happened in the vast empty and rather soulless hall at the NEC.

The food was free for exhibitors and convenient, the toilets fine, the parking and unloading acceptable. The trip in along country roads was delightful. Well you can't have it all - the picture shrunk on my pre-war tv set - it proved to be one of those U14 rectifiers had gone down as I had guessed.

Well done organisers! Nowhere will ever be perfect. There could have been more room for the stalls. I also 'lost' my own stall on several occasions and had to go searching for it. The carpark might become muddy. People will definitely want to come back to an event there; if it grows any more though there could be serious crowding problems.

Anyway, thanks BVWS for a great day out.

Steve

Last edited by Panrock; 8th May 2006 at 9:06 am.
Old 8th May 2006, 9:02 am   #28
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Congratulations to the organisers. The image of the venue does not compare with the NMM but once inside it met the needs of a vintage fair much better. Compared with the NEC it is far superior, parking is more convenient, (but heavy rain might be a bit of a problem). For me the journey was almost the same as NEC and finding the venue was relatively straight forward.
The mix of items available was wide enough to give interest and a fair range between very expensive and very modest.
The TV exhibit was really first rate. The most fascinating was the rotating disc TV. I have always wanted to see what the very early TV must have looked like.
Thanks again
Old 8th May 2006, 9:06 am   #29
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan
did not spot a few familiar ones - Mickjjo,
Well I started out with good intentions to get to my first NVCF for more than a decade, but at 110 miles into the journey, near Oxford, a red warning light and alarming rattle indicated that the Mini gremlins had struck, so I reluctantly crept back home to fix the problem. (A broken tuppenny dynamo brush spring ), If only I had carried a spare. . Oh well, maybe next year. .

Regards, Mick. .
Old 8th May 2006, 9:24 am   #30
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I wonder if the venue is planning an extension. Maybe we're not the only show that's running a bit full.
Old 8th May 2006, 9:44 am   #31
newlite4
Octode

Simply glorious journey up the Fosse Way from Bath, it took about two hours. Pleasant rural venue (notice the sheep and lambs when coming from the car park). The venue put me in mind of those prestige country antique fairs featured on Bargain Hunt. Overall it seemed to be a perfect "no stress" venue with easy access and parking. I do hope that it has been a financial success and that it may continue. Thanks to all involved for your stirling efforts in making a top day out.
Neil
Old 8th May 2006, 11:13 am   #32
joe
Rest in Peace

I've not been to an NVCF for several years, but yesterday reminded me of what I have been missing.

Well it wasn't a grand & imposing building. So! I came to see the show & to meet friends old & new, not to admire the architecture. Parking was easy & ample, although heavy rain could have been a problem but thankfully it only drizzled. The toilets were perfectly civilised; the catering looked fine although I didn't actually sample it, my conscience being prodded by a forthcoming cholesterol check. Finding the place was no problem at all.

The TV display was excellent, and was the first time I had ever seen a pre-war set working, apart from one when I was about 10 years old.

Although I was determined not buy anything I still came away with two Zenith TransOceanics, transistor ones though, and an American woodie "cathedral" c1932 "in need of restoration" & there's an understatement if ever there was one!

Finally I like to say a big thank you to all those whose efforts went in to making that a memorable day out.

Joe
Old 8th May 2006, 2:00 pm   #33
G4BZI Roger
Pentode

I thoroughly enjoyed yesterdays event - came away with some bargains and hard-to-find parts for restoration projects.

Different to the NEC, but the pleasant country venue with close-by free parking, clean toilets, cafeteria with seating, etc all contributed to a better experience.

A little further to travel from the north west but on quiet roads rather than motorways - so no problem there.

My elder son was pleased with his bargain purchase too and my wife did not complain - so here's looking forward to the next event there.

Roger
Old 8th May 2006, 2:02 pm   #34
ajs37
Heptode

I thought it was excellent - the organisers deserve much credit (and thanks) for using this venue - much better than the NEC for travel and parking. The rural charm only added to the day!
It was a little cramped at 'rush hour', but soon calmed down - I think it would be a shame to make the event any bigger / brasher - I know it's a national event, but we are a relatively small group of enthusiasts - my vote would be to keep it the same for next year.
I bought a few things - an MB60 for £12 (needs a bit of cosmetic work), a Bush BP10 for £15 (good condition), some crappy mini tape recorders (for spares), a telefunken 'bajazzo' for £6 (always wanted one!) and picked up a Tandberg 220 from Jeffrey B at the TV display (thanks!) - I actually came away with some money in my pocket!

Big thanks to the organisers - same again next year!

Cheers
Andy
Old 8th May 2006, 2:34 pm   #35
M3CVU
Retired Dormant Member

Excellent..! - We had a great day out. I think the venue is great and miles better than the Motorcycle Museum. We (G4CVU/M3CVU) always take our own food so I didn't have anything to do with the catering. The spread and diversity of things for sale this year was pleasing and I managed to pick up quite a few bargains. Although we didn't sell much of the big stuff (BRT400 CR100 R155's) we did clear quite a bit of the table by the end of the day.

I got talking to one of the security guards on the doors and he mentioned that the venue usually has outside marques. Maybe the organisers could look into this if space does become a problem.

For my two pennies worth I have the following points....

A lot of people were asking where the cash machine was (as advertised on the website). Maybe a few signs around the place would help..
The table space is MUCH too small. I think just about every trader had difficulty fitting everything they had on the table. I know I know why not buy 2 tables but this show IS exensive from a trader point of view in respect to the radio rallies that we frequent throughout the year. Im not trying to moan about the price I just think that a little bigger table would go a long way to making everyone happier. The space between the tables for traders was also far too small. Try putting two folding chairs back to back in the space ...

Ok moan over..

In general I thought the new venue was a major success and I hope the organisers have made the profits they deserve. Well done! - This event is getting back to what it used to be.

Regards - Paul
Old 8th May 2006, 2:35 pm   #36
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs37
I know it's a national event, but we are a relatively small group of enthusiasts - my vote would be to keep it the same for next year.
The BVWS has something like 1700 members, the majority in the UK, plus all those outside the BVWS who come for the phones, records etc. Then add partners and kids. I don't know how many turned up on Sunday but I'm sure it was comfortably over 1000, maybe nearer 1500.

That may be small compared to general antiques fairs and classic car events but it's not that small!

Maybe if we outgrow the hall we could hire a marquee for the overflow.

PS: I wrote that before I saw M3CVU's posting!
Old 8th May 2006, 2:58 pm   #37
kenneth
Retired Dormant Member

As a stallholder (books, bits and pieces) at the NVCF for the last six years or so I would rate the venues as follows:

NEC - 90%
NMM - 40%
WEC - 80%

I think the committee have hit on a winner with their latest venue and deserve three cheers for their efforts.

Ken

PS Am also a Yorkshireman and not given to overmarking.
Old 8th May 2006, 3:40 pm   #38
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3CVU
The table space is MUCH too small. I think just about every trader had difficulty fitting everything they had on the table. I know I know why not buy 2 tables but this show IS exensive from a trader point of view in respect to the radio rallies that we frequent throughout the year. Im not trying to moan about the price I just think that a little bigger table would go a long way to making everyone happier. The space between the tables for traders was also far too small. Try putting two folding chairs back to back in the space ...

Ok moan over..

In general I thought the new venue was a major success and I hope the organisers have made the profits they deserve. Well done! - This event is getting back to what it used to be.

Regards - Paul
Hi Paul,

I am unsure if either you or your father tried the old Picketts Lock show, But tables were £80.00 each, and there was not ever a problem selling those - so £50.00 for a 6 foot table at this sort of event is cheap.

I do agree that they were packed in well - you were quite lucky to be down by the television exhibition - there was far less room between stalls at the other end of the hall!

I would think that a marquee would be an excellent idea - I would urge the organisers of the NVCF to visit both the Leicester Amateur radio rally at Donnington Park, and the Elvaston Castle rally, to see first hand what is done there. Nothing wrong with seeing what the organisers of larger events get up to.

Cheers
Sean
Old 8th May 2006, 5:32 pm   #39
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan
This was the first NVCF that I attended, but I must say that the venue and parking arrangements were nothing short of excellent.
My only slight gripe was the map on the BVWS site - I hope that this is constructive criticism:
  • Needs to show junctions on M69
  • Distances shown on approach roads would be good
  • Entrance shown was on wrong road!
Yeah - I know, everyone else had no problem at all.
The map was supplied by the venue, and although it looks nice I don't think it's that useful. There are good directions on the venue website, which is probably what many of us used. I will make sure there is a direct link to that page on the NVCF site for the next one.

The venue is marked on the current AA Road Atlas, but only as a tiny red star and text. I get a new atlas each year, when they are offered for 99p with a tank of fuel!

Paul Stenning
Old 8th May 2006, 5:39 pm   #40
terry123
Pentode

I just wanted to add my sincere thanks and hearty congrats to Mike, Guy, Paul, Jon and all the rest of the NVCF team. (The spontaneous applause could even be heard up here !!)

We were probably the only ones not there! Good reason really… With the move up to Rosyth, Scotland last July, new house and new jobs it was just to difficult to juggle all of this and try to continue to organise the NVCF, let alone attend it. Having organised several of these shows the amount of work involved is nothing short of tremendous.

From the comments made in the various postings it is looking very positive indeed, just a pity we could not have found out about this venue sooner…

We are both saving our energies (and pennies) for the drive down south in June, and look forward in seeing all our many friends at Gerry’s and Harpenden .

Regards to you all

Terry & Peter (Martini)
Closed Thread