UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 21st Dec 2011, 11:43 am   #1
telstar
Octode

Default Electronic components at Clas Ohlson

Hi. Just thought that I would add this to the forum (can't find any other mention of it elsewhere on it). I found that on a visit to a hardware store in town called Clas Ohlson, there are some (limited) electronic components for sale such as resistor packs, switches, l.e.ds, veroboard, and also useful tools. I thought that this suggestion might come in handy for people interested in electronics, as an extra to the usual components stores. I don't think that they stock capacitors though!
Cheers
Mike
Old 21st Dec 2011, 1:00 pm   #2
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Electronic components at Clas Ohlson

Hi I looked up the Clas Ohlson website, as I had never heard of them, it appears to be quite an operation, there is a film presentation of the history of the company,which started in 1918, it is like a cross between IKEA, B&Q and TANDY and appears to be largely internet based outside of Sweden, prices are a tad on the high side but as Mike (telstar) says they coud be useful if you are stuck.I'll certainly be downloading their catalogue, just in case

Mike
Old 21st Dec 2011, 2:31 pm   #3
timohaveri
Pentode

I have bought banana plugs from Clas Ohlson a couple of times and they are quite good quality in my opinion. They cost 4,95 EUR / pack of 10 here in Finland and that is a good price considering the quality. They are a bit more expensive in UK, though: http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/...x?id=162501121
Old 21st Dec 2011, 3:41 pm   #4
G8VAT Wolfman
Retired Dormant Member

I discovered the one in Doncaster completely by accident, I can well recommend having a look around, they do a surprisingly eclectic mixture of goods.
Old 21st Dec 2011, 7:20 pm   #5
geoff999
Rest in Peace

There is a Clas Ohlsen Store in the Whitgift Centre in Croydon which has a wide range of useful goods including electricals and tools. There is a very comprehensive free catalogue.
Old 22nd Dec 2011, 10:19 am   #6
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

As nobody's mentioned where they are in UK, here they are.
I didn't know about the Leeds one but will certainly have a look.
Old 22nd Dec 2011, 11:56 am   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Good info from Mike Telstar [who I met at Golborne] excellent chap! I was so ignorant I didn't realise the company title is the name of the founder. Thought it was Swedish for Hardware Store or something! Looks like my most accessible outlet will be in the Arndale when I'm back in the Manchester environs. I will check it out as I had not heard of these [like most people]. I usually avoid Malls like the plague so it will be a reason to venture across Market Street from Fopp records.
Dave W
Old 22nd Dec 2011, 12:35 pm   #8
telstar
Octode

Hi. Glad to hear the response to the thread. I only went in to obtain drill bits for my Dremel tool.
For your info, Mike Phelan, the store in Leeds is at the corner of The Headrow/Upper Briggate in the building that Lewis's used to have.
I got one of the free catalogues when I was in the hardware store.
Cheers
Mike
Old 22nd Dec 2011, 5:04 pm   #9
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Thanks, Mike. The number of times we've walked along there, must have had my eyes shut!
Old 25th Dec 2011, 11:23 am   #10
telstar
Octode

Hi. It is hard to believe that Clas Ohlson would stock these few electronic components. I wonder if the founder of this company originally started repairing radios in the early days?
It certainly is a useful place to shop (with regards to tools that are useful to this hobby).
Cheers
Mike
Closed Thread