UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Dec 2015, 2:19 pm   #1
Radio Tech
Nonode

Default Mullard HSVT

A friend of mine has asked me to look at his valve tester, the problem is that with the reject card in, and switch in position 1, the spot does not sit exactly on line C, with the switch in position 6, the spot will not fall to the zero line. Is this a case where the differential amplifier is not what it seem? I did check the 470 Ohm resistors that are on the grids of V2 and V3 these read 500 Ohms measured with an Avo meter, they were checked in situ. Voltages on the Anodes read 25V and 30V, I did not check C11 though that is tied between the anodes. Any idea please.

Regards

Ken
Old 3rd Dec 2015, 3:17 pm   #2
PJL
Dekatron

Default Re: Mullard HSVT

You will find that most of the carbon resistors will have drifted well out of specification although the High Stab ones fair better. Then all the caps need to be replaced if not already done.

I am not entirely clear what your problem is but it sounds like you are trying to follow the calibration procedure using the reject card to set the zero position and C position? Are you saying that adjusting the pots/sliders does not move the spot or have they reached the end of their travel?
Old 3rd Dec 2015, 5:12 pm   #3
Radio Tech
Nonode

Hello Paul

The slider controls will move the spot and they haven't come to the end of travel, its just that the spot doesn't go to the zero line on the screen when switch is in position 6 and if it is possible to achieve this by using the sliders it puts the spot out even further in switch position 1

Ken
Old 3rd Dec 2015, 5:39 pm   #4
PJL
Dekatron

Although the sliders are roughly gain and offset, they badly interact so you need to play around a bit to get it right. That is assuming the resistors have not drifted off too badly.
Old 8th Dec 2015, 12:07 pm   #5
Radio Tech
Nonode

Many thanks every one, problem solved now.

Best wishes

Ken
Old 8th Dec 2015, 12:28 pm   #6
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Hi Ken,

Purely out of interest, what was the cause of the problem?
Closed Thread