UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Nov 2015, 2:52 pm   #1
Martin Bush
Octode

Default Avo on TFI

Hi all

Has anyone noticed Chris Evans has an AVO on the shelf behind him on TFI Friday?

Does anyone know why it's there?

Martin
Old 30th Nov 2015, 3:02 pm   #2
Paul Adams
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Avo on TFI

Probably just an ornament! And gathering dust, as long as it's not one of mine!

Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2D7BD98F00000578-3276538-image-m-16_1445027582676.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	116257  

Last edited by Paul Adams; 30th Nov 2015 at 3:09 pm.
Old 30th Nov 2015, 3:07 pm   #3
Martin Bush
Octode

I'd like to think either he or a member of the crew has a link to it, even if its just the fact that they like the design.

It's probably doin' more than mine is at the moment!
Old 30th Nov 2015, 7:49 pm   #4

Despite first impressions he isn't daft (that makes a good presenter), might be one of his own.

Old 1st Dec 2015, 1:08 am   #5
Martin Bush
Octode

We should ask him... Maybe he would want to test out some vintage radio kit in a vintage car on Top Gear.

Anyway, it was nice to be able to say to my girlfriend ' you see that thing in the background? There's one of those in the outhouse'... Nice for me anyway
Old 1st Dec 2015, 2:05 am   #6
paulsherwin

I very much doubt if Evans restores vintage electronics. He owns lots of vintage cars, but he pays other people to work on them (this is true of most rich vintage car enthusiasts of course). The Avo is almost certainly 'wacky' set dressing, bought in by the production designer along with all the other background tat.
Old 1st Dec 2015, 11:37 am   #7
turretslug
Dekatron

Yes- as with the Bourdon tube gauges next to it, picked out from "bought by weight" industrial scrap simply on the grounds of "looks cool". A shocking amount of delectable vintage kit gets bulldozed under, so to speak, in the professional/industrial/military world. AVOs might be rather nice to us, but to a business moving on, they're just large, heavy, delicate, unpredictable through age liabilities when the field/bench techs get issued with slim, light currently traceable Flukes.

I've left sets long-faced at the stuff that's been used as set dressing, acquired from salvage dealers and discarded at the end. Only so much stuff one can dare to save....
Old 1st Dec 2015, 6:15 pm   #8
Martin Bush
Octode

Isn't there an AVO register? I might ask Chris to join...
Old 1st Dec 2015, 7:05 pm   #9
bikerhifinut
Octode

What harm can it do to email the breakfast show team on Radio2? It might get a bit of good publicity for the hobby?
Old 1st Dec 2015, 7:22 pm   #10
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

"Set dressers" will do whatever looks good [in their eyes] - if they're scavenging scrap and giving it one last outing before it gets landfilled, surely that's better than it going straight to landfill?

I once spotted a pre-WWII ARRL Handbook on a high-up shelf in a 'hipster pub' in Bristol. Unable to pull it out from the shelf I was told by the landlord that historic-looking books are supplied "by the yard" by the pub fitout company. To reduce the risk of books being disturbed and falling on drinkers (so leading to an insurance-claim) a 15mm hole is drilled through a block of books and the bookshelf-ends, a length of wooden dowel threaded through then glued in place with PVA.
Old 2nd Dec 2015, 1:21 am   #11
Martin Bush
Octode

That's sacrilege... Poor books.

I hope the AVO hasn't been pinned down like that... I will try to investigate.
Closed Thread