UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2015, 9:48 pm   #1
stumted2
Retired Dormant Member

Default Handle end caps/covers

Just getting around to finishing one of my much cherished Ekco RP329 record players, all caps replaced, Collaro deck stripped, cleaned and relubricated, idler wheel resurfaced, etc. etc. and is now all singing and dancing.
However, I am trying to remove the end covers of the carrying handle, in order to remove a little tarnishing and pitting, but not having any luck.
I do not want to fall at the last fence and damage the covers when trying to remove them, ( they are the plain type, with no fixing holes.) and wondered if any kind member out there could possibly give me some guidance on how best to remove them.
All advice would be very much welcomed.
Cheers, Ted
Old 21st Aug 2015, 10:55 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Handle end caps/covers

Hi Ted,

Could you post a pic? Is this one of the usual Cheney handles? If so, the caps can usually be teased off with a small screwdriver, at the extreme ends. There's a little dimple on the cap which engages with a slot in the handle mounting plates.

Nick.
Old 21st Aug 2015, 11:52 pm   #3
stumted2
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Nick,
I have tried to lift it/them with a small driver, and also tried to ease them forward and back, but without any luck. and there are no dimples on them at the sides or back. I don't know if they are Cheney, but the pics may help.
I will take pics tomorrow and post them here.
Many thanks again nick, cheers, Ted.
Old 22nd Aug 2015, 7:20 am   #4
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

There's also a type whose caps have folded edges, which locate under a flat plate fixed to the cabinet, and which slide outwards, sometimes with some difficulty.
Old 22nd Aug 2015, 5:28 pm   #5
stumted2
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Nick and dseymo1
These are the pics of the handle caps, and I have still not managed to remove them yet.
Any thought on the best way forward without wrecking them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02393.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	112086   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02394.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	112087   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02397.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	112088   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02392.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	112089  
Old 22nd Aug 2015, 5:33 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

That really does look like a Cheney.

Of course, the cap and the mounting plate could be stuck to one another with rust.

Could we have a pic looking end-on?

N.
Old 22nd Aug 2015, 5:34 pm   #7
stumted2
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Nick and dseymo1,
More pics.
Cheers, Ted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02395.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	112090   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02396.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	112091   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02397.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	112092  
Old 22nd Aug 2015, 5:36 pm   #8
vidjoman
Dekatron

I think these are normally held on with nuts on the inside of the cabinet. A screw is welded to the inside of the ends.
Old 22nd Aug 2015, 5:38 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I can just see the dimple I was talking about earlier in photo 1.

Insert a thin but broad screwdriver between the cap (just by the dimple) and the record player's case and try levering gently, bearing in mind that if you push the screwdriver in too deeply, you'll be trying to pry off the whole mounting plate, as opposed to just the cap (which is what you want).

N.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cap.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	112093  
Old 22nd Aug 2015, 6:23 pm   #10
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Easiest way is to just remove the nuts that keep the end retainers in place, then prise off the covers. they do clean up well - I've attached a very poor picture of the handle covers off a Dynatron Carnival that I restored. The left one had been cleaned with wire wool and chrome cleaner - the right hand one was yet to be cleaned. As I recall, with the handle and end retainers removed from the cabinet, I had to prise the covers off horizontally from the outer end. You'll see that the caps are tapered towards the outer end. I don't think you can remove them by leaving them on the cabinet and trying to lever them off with a screwdriver.

In any even, it's much easier to clean the handle with it removed from the cabinet.

Good luck with it Ted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Handle covers before & after.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	112094  
Old 22nd Aug 2015, 7:08 pm   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

That's interesting, David.

Maybe the ones I'm thinking of are different; If you try to remove the nuts with these, the screw just rotates too. You need to pop-off the cover to stop it from turning.

Enjoy the weekend,

Nick.
Old 22nd Aug 2015, 7:24 pm   #12
stumted2
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Vidjoman,
There is no evidence of nuts on the inside of the cab, but it looks like there is, but hidden under the cab interior covering.
Hi Nick, I did as you suggested, and with great care, but with no luck again. The handle cover was now no longer as snug a fit as it originally was, so I thought it may as you said, be rusted solid, so I decided to go for broke and remove it by any means possible.
Whoever designed this handle and it's end caps, could well be a sadist.
The end caps are peened over the mounting plate, (not by me with unbridled and brute force with a screwdriver) and it seems that the mounting plate screw (which is riveted to the mounting plate) fits through the cab, the cab inside is counter bored, retaining nut fitted and then the cab interior covering is applied, therefore covering the retaining nut, and thus making it impossible to remove the end caps.
I am currently as in the film "Oliver", reviewing, the situation.
When I regain the will to live, I will post more pics to show how the end caps have been peened over the mounting plate.
On one of my other players, it does have as you indicated, a small dimple in the end covers, and doing as you have advised, the endcaps do comes off fairly easily, but this is not the case (no pun intended) on my Ecko RP329.
Have you or any other member experienced this type of handle in the past?
Your thoughts, and kind help as always, is very much appreciated.
Cheers, Ted.

Last edited by stumted2; 22nd Aug 2015 at 7:33 pm.
Old 22nd Aug 2015, 7:32 pm   #13
stumted2
Retired Dormant Member

Hi David,
Many thanks for your message, I have only just received it, as I was typing my last post.
But the retaining nuts are under the cab interior vinyl covering, so it looks as though I will have to (with great care) try to remove a little of the interior cab covering, to gain access to them.
Cheers, Ted.
Old 22nd Aug 2015, 7:41 pm   #14
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Just a thought Ted - I don't know if they'd come off if you gently tapped the inner ends of the caps with a drift and small hammer to push them off. I think you'd stand a better chance than trying to prise them off with a screwdriver. I can understand your reluctance to not want to mess with the interior covering. In my case, with the turntable removed the retaining nuts were easily accessible.
Old 22nd Aug 2015, 8:16 pm   #15
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Blimey, that's a nasty way of doing things. Good luck, you'll get there in the end.

Nick.
Old 22nd Aug 2015, 8:33 pm   #16
TonyDuell
Dekatron

More times than I care to mention I've had problems like this where I simply can't work
out how something comes apart. I then start dismantling, possibly (as here) cutting away coverings, or doing other damage. And when I finally have the bits all over the bench I realise that there was a trivial way to do it, just by undoing a couple of screws, if only I had spotted it...
Old 22nd Aug 2015, 8:38 pm   #17
stumted2
Retired Dormant Member

Hi David,
I did try a brass drift and a small 2oz hammer, both forward and backwards, but again, it refused to budge. ( I even tried swearing at it, threatening it, and pleading with it.)
I have finally managed to remove the cover, but the mounting plate has suffered in the course of it's removal, and I will definitely have to try to gain access to the mounting plate counter bored retaining nut, in order to remove the mounting plate/s.
To add to the confusion, the (covered) retaining nuts are above the deck, making it even more difficult to disguise the interior vinyl cover access points after removing the mounting plates .
I think I may have to lie down in a dark room, in an attempt to calm my shattered nerves and to hopefully regain my sanity.
Cheers, Ted.

Last edited by stumted2; 22nd Aug 2015 at 8:44 pm.
Old 22nd Aug 2015, 8:47 pm   #18
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Well done Ted.

Could you show us how the cover was actually fixed on, then?

Nick
Old 22nd Aug 2015, 9:11 pm   #19
stumted2
Retired Dormant Member

Have you ever had one of those days when nothing you do seems to go right?
Well today was one of those days for me.
It started out badly, and quickly went downhill from then onwards.
It looks as though the best way forward now, would be to try to locate a replacement handle and end covers, and either try to repair as best as possible, (possibly by cutting it in a star shaped circle and folding it back, and then hopefully gluing it back in place) the damaged interior vinyl cover whilst gaining access to the nuts, or if this is not satisfactory, fit retaining screw domed nuts on the inside of the cab. (with suitable washers to protect the vinyl.)
If anyone has any better solutions, they would be very much welcomed.
Cheers, Ted.
Old 22nd Aug 2015, 9:25 pm   #20
stumted2
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Nick,
I will take more pics and post these to show both the end cover and mounting plate, (I have as yet, not removed the mounting plate, as tomorrow may be a luckier day.)
It seems a very odd way to fit handles and end covers, and unless I'm missing something, doesn't make life easy for any poor soul (like me) trying to replace a damaged handle.
Closed Thread