UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Dec 2009, 12:11 am   #41
stevekendal
Heptode

Default Re: Really bad warping

All good sound advice thanks guys, but seeing as I spend too much time at the day job, I'm going to just leave the reconstructed cabinet in a warm room for a few days and then if all is well, I have plenty of veneer somewhere, walnut and zebrano no less! Steve.
Old 18th Dec 2009, 9:33 am   #42
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

presumably if the top has expanded its due to having soaked up the moisture you gave it while clamping flat , presumably this will shrink again. Keep it away from the radiators or too much heat . best if it does it slowly
Old 20th Dec 2009, 7:53 pm   #43
stevekendal
Heptode

Right, now with fingers in ears and egg on face, things arent looking too rosey The newly attached top has lifted again at the back, but only by a couple of mil so far. I could live with that, but I think theres probably worse to come. Its pretty well stuck down now with PVA, so do I just leave it and let it slowly come apart at the back, or should I ask Santa for a circular saw so that I can cut it off and make the new top that I should have done earlier? Steve.
Old 20th Dec 2009, 8:41 pm   #44
Colin
Heptode

Steve, just an idea, but could you remove the whole piece of veneer from the top (this may not be possible by now of you've used PVA on it) and using a router, circular saw, hand saw or drill, make a series of cuts/holes such that the panel can be straightened without it being under any tension. There would be no need to go right through the panel so the inside face would remain intact and undamaged.

A mixture of sawdust and glue can be used to make the straightened panel rigid again and then the veneer can be re-glued. If the edges are damaged in this process they could be repaired with filler and paint.

I've seen this technique used to bend skirting boards around rounded corners in bay windows etc. It may be easier than making a new panel from scratch.

rgds
Colin