UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jan 2018, 12:53 pm   #1
derek.ireland
Tetrode

Default Signal generator info please.

Before I make a start on it, can anybody give me some info on this sig gen please? Model no. pic to get the lettering on front panel .

Took two hours to slowly bring up to voltage. Lovely sine and square wave. One EF50 not used but heater wired, don't see the point.

Thank for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01826.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	156251   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01829.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	156252   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01827.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	156253   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01824.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	156254   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01828.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	156255  

Last edited by Station X; 27th Jan 2018 at 12:58 pm. Reason: Readability.
Old 27th Jan 2018, 1:25 pm   #2
Hartley118
Nonode

Default Re: Signal generator info please.

Quite presentable, but not a commercial product. Looks like it could be a bespoke audio oscillator designed and built by a company's test technicians.

Valves are low cost ex-WD. Maybe 1940s/early 50s? Is there a date on one of those electrolytics?

Martin
Old 27th Jan 2018, 2:48 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

It looks like a re-purposed war surplus chassis.

That dual pot is far too serious a component for most period home-brewers to buy. So I'm with Martin on some company's technicians building it.

It seems a bit too early for 8 Ohm speakers, and maybe not enough power for speaker testing.

As an R-C oscillator, the game is to find how they stabilised the amplitude.

David
Old 27th Jan 2018, 3:27 pm   #4
turretslug
Dekatron

A mischievous and likely spurious thought occurs to me: is that EF50 heater being used to stabilise the feedback, did they pre-empt Mr. Hewlett and Mr. Packard?

I expect the time-constant would be too large, though.
Old 27th Jan 2018, 4:14 pm   #5
turretslug
Dekatron

Well, actually looking at the under-chassis shows that the under-employed EF50 simply has heaters paralleled with the others. That varnished choke looks very Marconi. I'm sure I'd seen a few cases where EF50s were so numerous on the surplus market that they were even used as shunt ripple-cancellers for low-power circuits, or maybe it had been a buffer stage.
Old 27th Jan 2018, 4:34 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

Philips did a heck of a job hiding the EF50 and its production processes from the Nazis. I think the were very valuable beasties before the end of the war. Bill's bulb was late-middle thirties. I hadn't worried about whether he might have been pre-empted, but I did wonder about the heater as a thermistor, but the mass of the cathode would slow it too much. an ordinary bulb is better.

David