UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Nov 2019, 5:37 pm   #1
colebrooker
Retired Dormant Member

Default Toshiba VCR V-855B

This unit had not been powered up for a good while so it resulted in an explosive capacitor. It is a cubic shape that I have not seen before made by RIFA. C804 on the circuit board with 100n F5 markings. It looks difficult to get to so I am wondering if it is worth trying to repair. Any comments/advice would be appreciated. David.
Old 18th Nov 2019, 6:00 pm   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Toshiba VCR V-855B

Classic Rifa mains filter cap failure. The VCR will work without it for test purposes.
This is a Thompson based VCR with the power unit mounted in a separate box. You will probably have to replace all the electrolytic capacitors in the PSU to get it working.
Often the PSU would fail trapping a tape in the deck. The customer would then force it out damaging the deck mechanism...Not such happy days.

Not my favorite VCR series to be honest but good luck with it. John.
Old 18th Nov 2019, 8:09 pm   #3
colebrooker
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks John, It looks like a multiple unit cap. Any idea if these are still available? A replacement doesn't have to be the same shape anyway.
David
Old 19th Nov 2019, 3:20 pm   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I doubt if the exact physical shaped filter assembly is available. As I mentioned earlier it will operate OK without it. The block contains C801 .1uf C802 220pf and C803 220pf. They are special safety components and can be replaced by the correct types of capacitor. Ordinary caps will not do!

I have attached the primary side of the PSU circuit. This is actually the one for the V813 but the V855 add on sheet shows it as the same. It was employed on a huge range of Thompson models.

The main problem with this power supply is the electrolytic capacitors. The main 47uf 450V C805 will be OK but most if not all of the smaller caps will be useless, probably O/C. Capacitor testers will probably not prove their guilt. These failed when the units were quite new and gave me a great deal of annoyance to say the least.

All Toshiba dealers were very upset when Toshiba packed up making their own VCR's, the super 70/80 and 90 series. to be replaced by this series.

They work well but were not very customer friendly having 'quirky' operating modes. I wish you luck with this one and hope the deck has not been broken by a ham fisted previous owner. Excuse the scan. The circuit sections unfold like a stair carpet..John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img974.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	193948  

Last edited by Heatercathodeshort; 19th Nov 2019 at 3:27 pm.
Old 20th Nov 2019, 11:50 pm   #5
Maarten
Dekatron

Strange, that power supply actually doesn't look like anything made by Thomson.
Old 21st Nov 2019, 7:38 pm   #6
Red to black
Nonode

Hi Maarten,
because it wasn't.
This machine uses the V3 deck, the one with the big white plastic loading block assembly, this was still part of the Thomson/Toshiba joint venture at this time, IPV I believe.
The lower end non-Hi-Fi machines (cat 1) used Thomson designed/made electronics whilst the higher end Hi-Fi machines (cat 2) used Toshiba designed/made electronics (this machine ^^^).
This applied to machines badged by both manufacturers names btw.

It was a jointly owned factory however, so how much input each firm had with each others designs in the electronics is unknown by us of course

Edit: Whilst Toshiba called it the V3 deck Thomson called it either the R4000 or R5000 deck (I forget which now)
Edit 2: I seem to recall Toshiba was mostly the designer of the mechanical parts/deck too at this time, but again of course I don't know that 100%

Last edited by Red to black; 21st Nov 2019 at 8:01 pm. Reason: addition
Closed Thread