UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Oct 2019, 8:05 pm   #1
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Default Sanyo VHR-1100E

Hi all,

Been after one of these machines for a while and won one from the auction site. Sold as good condition but faulty, fair enough. Seller didn’t mention the rust though 😡

What I thought from the description to be a PSU/MCU fault could now be anything. Symptoms are as soon as it is powered all the motors spin up to full speed, clock working, standby light comes straight on an no response from any function keys.

I’ve washed the syscon/PSU board, removed the gunk that goes conducive and replaced a few suspect caps. The service manual arrived today (downloadable but I prefer a proper manual), power supply rails all look fine. Cleaned and tested the mode switch and also pulled IC3001 and IC3002 out one at a time to see if it made any difference but alas not. The machine will also need belts/idler/pinch roller and no idea of the condition of the heads but obviously need to get it at least behaving before buying any more parts.

Service manual is here https://elektrotanya.com/sanyo_vhr-1.../download.html if anyone has any suggestions on how to proceed. Even better if anyone has a known working PSU/Syscon board (last picture) please let me know!

Cheers,

Kev
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2287B695-6B3E-4DB2-AC0E-E04619F3F3C1.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	192399   Click image for larger version

Name:	43AA883D-7873-41FF-BADD-934DC8309CA6.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	192400   Click image for larger version

Name:	DE814D78-1779-4D5C-973D-F118DE142659.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	192401   Click image for larger version

Name:	8DD91B46-2021-4E67-ADE5-9972A85319CE.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	192402  
Old 24th Oct 2019, 9:11 pm   #2
vhs doctor
Pentode

Default Re: Sanyo VHR-1100E

Hi kev
If the voltage on the PSU are according to the manual check the power supply on CN6301 and CN6302.

In general replace all the electrolytic capacitors on the PSU main board and on the regulator board.
Check the PSU voltages under load.
Old 24th Oct 2019, 10:01 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

I am fairly sure I have one of these, or at least a very similar model Sanyo, stashed away. Will take a look next week. Might even be persuaded to part with it!
Old 24th Oct 2019, 10:26 pm   #4
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhs doctor View Post
Hi kev
If the voltage on the PSU are according to the manual check the power supply on CN6301 and CN6302.

In general replace all the electrolytic capacitors on the PSU main board and on the regulator board.
Check the PSU voltages under load.
Hi,

Thanks for the pointers, I’ve replaced some of the capacitors but will do the remainder when I next take a look at it (possibly tomorrow). CN6301/2 on the timer control PCB? Will check them too! The voltages checked OK with the fault present, all motors running at once so probably as heavy a load as possible! I am literally powering it up for seconds at a time while taking measurements as the loading mech motor activates and the carriage jams....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
I am fairly sure I have one of these, or at least a very similar model Sanyo, stashed away. Will take a look next week. Might even be persuaded to part with it!
Hi Ben,

If you do find it then I would be interested (faulty or working, as long as it hasn’t been stored in a pond like mine appears to have ) There’s a couple of models in the same range with more features but I think they share the same deck and also some badged Salora.

Thanks,

Kev
Old 25th Oct 2019, 6:39 am   #5
vhs doctor
Pentode

Check the mode selector switch (the voltages on the mode selector pins and if the contacts are corroded). If i understand right you plug in the unit and when you press power button the VCR goes to cassette in position state without cassette.
Are you sure that the gears and the cassette block are correct aligned.
Old 25th Oct 2019, 7:16 am   #6
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Hi,

The mode switch has been cleaned and checked ok. When plugged in it goes straight to on without pressing the standby button and all the motors start up immediately, the power button has no effect. Deck alignment looks ok if turned by hand without power. I think it’s an electronic fault, as i said it has been water damaged previously.

Thanks,

Kev
Old 25th Oct 2019, 3:42 pm   #7
vhs doctor
Pentode

If you have water damaged VCR. Use a flux remover spray and clean all the boards from moisture also clean the connectors between the boards. Don't forget to clean the switches in mechanism.

The moisture could work as a "resistor" in switches and between soldering points.

Last edited by vhs doctor; 25th Oct 2019 at 3:48 pm.
Old 17th Nov 2019, 12:18 am   #8
Sanbeta
Hexode

Hi Kev

Ah so you were the one who purchased it. I did see that advertised.
I won a year or so ago the same model. Also a couple of years before that the 1300e for only 99p with remote and manual. Both are now working A1 after I went over them well. Both arrived with damage to the front panel area through poor packing. I had to replace the long timer switches on both which got broken off. The corner of the circuit board/power on button area on the 1300e and a few contact buttons on the 1100e.
Annoying as these are pretty rare. Still on the lookout for the rarer 1500e.

As for your issues. There were common IC failings on the 1100e according to one site I downloaded common vcr issues from.
Will let you know if anything is mentioned similar to your issues.

.....Kev
Old 17th Nov 2019, 12:29 am   #9
Sanbeta
Hexode

Kev

I have had a look but nothing seems to be similar to what you are experiencing.
What I would think could be the issue though is the STK transformer as in my experience when they go bad you do get issues like that.
Seen that happen on a Sony C40 and Sanyo 6500,M40 and 5000.

........Kev
Old 17th Nov 2019, 3:17 am   #10
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Hi Kev,

All the PSU rails are within the spec of the manual so wouldn’t normally suspect the STK. I have put it to one side for the moment but will see if I have a STK in my spares or try and source one and try it, otherwise will just hang on to the machine in the hope another becomes available.

Cheers,

Kev

Last edited by Outrun_uk; 17th Nov 2019 at 3:18 am. Reason: Spelling
Old 17th Nov 2019, 9:28 am   #11
Sanbeta
Hexode

Kev

Also I would check the front panel area too. Seeing how damaged both mine arrived it's possible a dry joint/cracked board there may be causing grief too.

Also R3110 on the Syscon board comes up frequently for giving issues with playback and power. Also IC3005 (drive IC).

Good luck........................Kev
Closed Thread