UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Nov 2019, 9:46 pm   #1
Mikey405
Octode

Default Help to Identify a TV (Philips 23TG107U)

Hi all.

I've been asked to identify (and possibly try and locate) a TV for a joint BBC / Kaleidoscope programme. The attached picture shows the beast but I have to say that I've never seen one of these sets before. The owner said it was a Philips, and I can quite believe it (the badge on the top left looks like one of those later large Philips badges and the optical sensor on the bottom is very Philips-esque). It looks like the controls are on the top of the set.

If anyone can identify it, do they also know of one which could be used? I'm guessing they could chroma-key (or whatever the modern version of this is called) a picture on to the screen so it may not need to work.

Many thanks all.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UnknownTV.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	193914  
Old 18th Nov 2019, 11:12 pm   #2
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: Help to Identify a TV

Hi Mike,
I reckon you're right, it is a Philips and because it has the 19" CRT it must be a 1961 or later model. That light sensor looks very Philips.
One of those futuristic looking creations from the early sixties. Remember the RGD "diadem" series of TVs?

DFWB.
Old 18th Nov 2019, 11:16 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

Can only find one pic in Google images (Pinterest) Not sure how accurate the description is but it says it's a Philips 23TG107U, if that's correct it was launched circa 1961 according to a trade show report in Wireless World:

https://americanradiohistory.com/hd2...ch=%2223-in%22

Lawrence.
Old 19th Nov 2019, 12:00 am   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I've one in captivity here, definitely 23": 23TG107U sounds right. The magazine shelf in the photo looks dark but is white on my set. A further photograph online shows the shelf as veneered and the cabinet as a fairly light walnut,

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/07/ed...057bf68ef3.jpg ,

whereas the cabinet of mine is very dark indeed, so presumably a choice of finishes was offered.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	philips23.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	193925  
Old 19th Nov 2019, 12:28 am   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

The actual chap on Mike's screen looked familiar [despite the snowy conditions]. I though Mcdonald Hobley, a name I recall from my youth in terms of it's inverted nature. Then I thought perhaps I'm making it up but there he is on Wikki-an early BBC presenter!

Dave W
Old 19th Nov 2019, 9:12 am   #6
Mikey405
Octode

Thanks everyone for your help. All extremely helpful. That set of Paul's is a beauty.

Thanks again all.

Kind regards.

From Mike.