UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jun 2022, 10:53 pm   #41
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: AVO 7 voltage reading low.

- Brain fade- Looks like the rectifier bias is enabled just by linking the two wires pictured. I thought they were electrically connected to the original transformer, but they were just using one of it's (isolated) posts for mechanical support.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02682.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	259371  
Old 22nd Jun 2022, 7:15 pm   #42
Alchad1
Triode

Dave,

Absolutely fascinating, can only understand about 1/10 of what you’re talking about, but just so pleased that my dad’s old meter found a good home and has given you some “fun” sorting it out.

Re the service sticker, as I think I might have mentioned in a DM to you but others might not know, this was a result of of very young Alchad playing with his father’s Avo and - I think - trying to measure continuity across a battery😢😢, or something equally disastrous.

Regards

Alchad
Old 22nd Jun 2022, 11:25 pm   #43
The Philpott
Dekatron

There's a date of 5.1.65 inside which probably pertains to repair! They always used to pencil or scratch in repair dates somewhere unobtrusive. It looks like Farnell sorted it out. I'm going to protect the sticker with lacquer.

Almost finished it! The ones from the 1940's have a special appeal (and smell like an old radio)

Dave
Old 26th Jun 2022, 11:00 pm   #44
The Philpott
Dekatron

Things worthy of note-

Battery compartment lids- (concerning meters where the lid is directly under the leather handle)

The distance between the (centreline of the) fixing screw-holes can be either 133.5mm, 134mm or 135mm- and these are just the ones i know about! A small difference but enough to mean that these parts must be of the same type when putting together a meter from parts:-

a) The lid
b) The case
c) battery box

I fabricated a new lid from an (Argos?) steel bookend which just happened to have a close paint match- silver hammered. I chickened out from doing the keyholes as on the first attempt at an exact replica c/w keyholes, there wasn't enough 'grippage' for one of the screws.

I protected what remained of the Farnell repair sticker with UV resistant 'weatherproof' outdoor tape, the stuff that is supposed to patch up old greenhouses. It's fairly hopeless outdoors but very tough for an indoor job.

The bias for the rectifier on this Model 7 can be seen to be working- a small rise of the needle whenever the DC selector is moved to 'AC' and the AC selector is in ANY OTHER position than 'DC'....even one click to a blank position either side of the DC position is enough. This facility appears to improve sensitivity to a 14vAC input by around 0.5v, compared to a Model 7 without the bias feature.

The cutout continued to glitch and I ended up replacing the sliding contact plate for a spare one with much pointier contacts- instant fix.

The main AC leaf switch stack had an issue with the spacer rod being slightly too short; fixed by aralditing a 20 thou shim to the leaf above it, which enabled all the contacts to move by a healthy amount.

The 'snow' inside the meter was oxide from where the cell had rotted the aluminium case. Always tricky to clean away from fragile windings but i got most of it and greased the inside of the case to catch any future floaters.

I'm quite pleased with the enamel repaint of the front legends- managed to get a reasonable ivory colour from mixing off-white with yellow and khaki- sometimes the incised legends are worn down and difficult to fill on these meters- these were nicely crisp and unworn though.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02712.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	259883   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02711.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	259884   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02702.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	259885   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02699.jpg
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	259886   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02691.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	259887  

Old 27th Jun 2022, 11:01 am   #45
pmmunro
Octode

That's truly beautiful Dave. Very well done!

PMM
Closed Thread