UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jun 2022, 10:04 pm   #1
Ian B
Hexode

Default Battery for Taylor 100 multimeter

My favourite meter is a Taylor 100, but the resistance scale has to be re-zeroed when changing range unless the internal battery (Ever Ready B123) is fairly new. As it ages, it becomes impossible to set to zero on the lower ohms ranges.
It must be over 10 years since I fitted a new one (obtained via the internet), and I can't remember the name of the company.
Does anyone know of a possible supplier, or have I got to attempt to assemble 20 button cells?

Ian Blackbourn
Old 23rd Jun 2022, 10:39 pm   #2
joebog1
Banned

Default Re: Battery for Taylor 100 multimeter

Assembling 20 button cells is pretty easy. I use a piece of conduit the correct length to hold the number of cells required. The correct diameter is fairly important too. Tubes the right diameter are easily obtainable from model building shops, and is cheap. You may need to add a curly spring at one end to hold tension on the cells. Do NOT use bare fingers to assemble the cells, as they need to be very clean to make decent contact.

Joe
Old 23rd Jun 2022, 10:59 pm   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

The Excell 413A battery is said to be the equivalent, but seems no longer to be available from UK suppliers, probably due to its high price. You can get them in the UK via eBay, but they’re from the USA and even without the shipping costs are quite expensive - maybe more than the meter is worth, so the ‘button cell option’ starts to look attractive.

See: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390758368803
Old 24th Jun 2022, 6:39 am   #4
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I've got loads of 625A 1.5v button cells if you need any, I used them to make up a battery for a microphone. I slipped some heatshrink over them, put them in a vice or clamp with cardboard insulators, then shrunk the sleeve.

Andy.
Old 24th Jun 2022, 6:30 pm   #5
stuarth
Heptode

I have a Triplett 630-NA which uses that 30V battery. It’s a big meter with loads of unused internal space, so what some folks do it fit 3 PP3 batteries wired in series to the 30V battery contacts and tucked into empty corners. The Taylor 100 is a similar size to the Triplett, and may also have room for the PP3s. PP3s should be around for a while yet, so future battery replacement is easy.

The 30V battery is only needed for the highest resistance ranges so if you can’t set zero on the lower resistance ranges, it must be something other than the 30V battery.

Stuart
Old 25th Jun 2022, 5:39 pm   #6
The Philpott
Dekatron

There's quite a wide size choice of Lithium Metal button cells now- longer shelf life, less likely to leak, and double the voltage of those grotty alkaline button cells. Might need a spacer to take up the space provided by the shorter stack.

Dave
Old 25th Jun 2022, 7:31 pm   #7
Chris55000
Nonode

Would two of these BLR154s fit in your meter?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274666709...mis&media=COPY

Chris Williams
Old 25th Jun 2022, 8:51 pm   #8
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I think the B123 is effectively the cells from a pair of B121's stacked together. A pair of B121s put end-to-end would be a bit longer due to the contacts on the 2 faces that are touching.

I seem to remember the B154 (15V), B155 (22.5V) and B156 (30V). These were square in cross-section, the B155 was about the same size as an AA cell. Then there were the larger (wider) B121 (15V), B122 (22.5V) and B123 (30V). Originally they were zinc-carbon layer cells.

The 15V and 22.5V ones of both sizes were common in flashbulb guns (the 'battery-capacitor' type), hearing aids and model radio control receivers (HT supply for the valves). The 30V ones were a lot less common.
Closed Thread