UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jun 2022, 6:55 pm   #1
Viscount
Heptode

Default Roberts' tuning caps.

I have two Roberts radios both with the same problem, scratchy tuning caps in other word sounds like a dirty pot. Is there a way of cleaning these? Radios are an R24 and an R72.
Old 29th Jun 2022, 7:59 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Roberts' tuning caps.

Tuning-capacitors can - if exposed to dampness - get corrosion on the aluminium vanes which result in random short-circuits between the vanes as the capacitor is turned.

The 'classic' way to clear these is to use a vacuum-cleaner to provide an extractive suckage while setting the capacitor so the plates are maximally-enmeshed, then slipping a very thin [1 thou?] feeler-gauge blade down into each and every gap to dislodge the corrosion-lumps.

But don't also exclude a contact-problem in the springy fingers that ground the moving spindle to the capacitor body; old, congealed grease mixed with decades of accreted dust can make the contact here intermittent. The best way to deal with this is to take the capacitor out and give it a blast in an ultrasonic cleaning-bath.
Old 29th Jun 2022, 8:55 pm   #3
Viscount
Heptode

the prob i have is that the R24 and R727 use those square plastic units and not the vane type ,sorry maybe should have mentioned that in the op
Old 29th Jun 2022, 9:38 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Ah, Polyvaricons!

They're generally considered 'no user-serviceable parts inside' - I've got a couple of radios whose Polyvaricons have gone scratchy, and have just learned to live with it.

But - it's always worth checking that there are no dry solder-joints on the little leadouts that connect the capacitor to the rest of the circuit-board; I've had this happen in the past and the mechanical movement of the capacitor when the tuning was adjusted was enough to cause the dry-joint to rustle. Reflowing the solder fixed _that_ particular fault.
Old 30th Jun 2022, 7:15 am   #5
Viscount
Heptode

Polyvaricons ,so thats what they are called?,i will check for dry joints,thanks for that info G6Tanuki
Old 30th Jun 2022, 8:47 am   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I suffered loads of problems with these. Never discovered a way of reliably bringing them back to life. Many developed this fault within two years together with noisy waveband switches and volume controls. I would add that these were in dry domestic situations.
Size does matter. John.
Closed Thread