UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jun 2022, 9:05 pm   #1
The General
Hexode

Default Philips radio on 'The Repair Shop'

Hi all, did anyone watch The Repair Shop a few days ago where Mark Stuckey repaired the Philips radio with the destroyed Bakelite cabinet?
The one where Dominic Chinea made a replica glass scale by scanning in the original broken one, tidying up the image on his computer & getting it silk screened on a new piece of glass.
My qustion is: Does anyone know what program he was using to manipulate the image? It wasn't anything I recognised.
BTW, I thought Mark made a nice job of the cabinet; I've repared broken Bakelite cabinets with fibreglass myself but never one as bad at that.
Cheers
Mark
Old 28th Jun 2022, 2:31 pm   #2
John M0GLN
Octode

Default Re: Philips radio on 'The Repair Shop'

I can't help you with your question but my thoughts are the same as yours. what was the program used, and also how much did it cost to have it silk screen printed.
I saw the programme in bits and pieces, I first saw the wrecked set arrive and then in it's finished state and thought he must have found a donor set with a very good cabinet, it wasn't until I replayed the whole recording that I realised what a excellent restoration job he'd made.

John
Old 28th Jun 2022, 2:53 pm   #3
Dickie
Octode

I found it interesting that (apparently) he made no attempt to glue the edges of the bakelite fractures together. He just held it all together with heavy duty tape and when all the bits were in place he proceeded to splint all the joints with glass fibre mat and polyester resin. I guess some of the resin may have seeped into the joints but I wonder how strong it is.

Richard, BVWS member
Old 28th Jun 2022, 3:20 pm   #4
The Philpott
Dekatron

Dominic now has a youtube channel, that might be worth a look.

Dave
Old 28th Jun 2022, 3:23 pm   #5
emeritus
Dekatron

Perhaps it's the only practical way to get gapless joins in Bakelite. If you use an adhesive, its presence, however thin a layer you use, will make it impossible for the edges of the Bakelite to come into contact, so there will always be a gap. For modern plastics, you can mend cracks by pushing the parts together and using a volatile solvent like dichloromethane (available in small bottles from shops that sell plastic model kits) that wicks into the gap by capilliary action, but as far as I know, there are no solvents for Bakelite.

Last edited by emeritus; 28th Jun 2022 at 3:26 pm. Reason: typos
Old 28th Jun 2022, 4:05 pm   #6
telstar
Octode

it was a really good programme last week showing that Philips radio. Not sure what model number it was, but maybe it was one that was made for the Asian market as Philips were once very popular there. I can not remember the owner's story. Obviously the electronic side was more simple to restore, but the cabinet and dial glass were the main problem.
Whenever I wanted a scan of a dial to put on to acetate, how come I could not get it as good as they could on the "Repair Shop"? Certain colours did not come through as sharp to match the original (like when I wanted a scan on to acetate to match the Philco A535 radio).
I always look forward to seeing what this show has to offer.
regards
Mike
Old 28th Jun 2022, 4:28 pm   #7
llama
Octode

I haven't watched this episode yet but it occurs to me that you might not want the Bakelite edges to match perfectly, thinking of moisture absorption actually changing the shape around the broken areas.
Graham
Old 28th Jun 2022, 5:31 pm   #8
McMurdo
Dekatron

When the chap brought the radio in in its state (a victim of courier droppage) I stared at the screen with some incredulity, wondering what on earth they could do with it, and hoping the guy hadn#t said he'd been using it like that!

I suppose Mark would've filled & flatted the cracks after using the fibreglass matting, as he intended to spray the thing afterwards anyway - I've seen members on here do something similar; was there a smashed KB toaster?

It's all good inspiration.
Old 28th Jun 2022, 6:06 pm   #9
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I haven’t seen this one yet, but would like to! I have repaired many broken Bakelite cabinets now, the best way I have found is by making sure the edges can be made to meet up as close as possible first results in less work at the end, then work out which bits need to go in place first. The best glue I found was some wicking superglue, Loctite made one, but I can’t remember the number, you could fit the parts into place then dribble some glue into the crack and it’d fill it nicely. Leave to set overnight, strengthen if necessary with fibreglass on the inside. Any overspill of superglue can be sanded flat (carefully, outside with a mask on) and then polished with paste no.5. It’s not failed me yet! But white/ cream is by far the most difficult to repair invisibly! I wonder if the resin he used with the fibreglass is a low viscosity type? That would seep into the cracks nicely!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 28th Jun 2022, 6:17 pm   #10
whyperion
Hexode

I have seen David Tipton on You Tube both do some Bakelite repairs (seems there are some products in Australia that I cannot recall see in the UK) , and print dial glass scales - cannot remember what he used for those nor which specific repair job but there are not too many too look over.
Old 28th Jun 2022, 6:26 pm   #11
McMurdo
Dekatron

Quote:
I wonder if the resin he used with the fibreglass is a low viscosity type
There's a brief closeup of Mark mixing the resin, it looked thinner than the red, stringy 'David's Isopon' Fibreglass Resin (which came in a flat tin) that I used to repair the doors of my car back in the 80's.

I have since bought some more resin and matting (as a kit) to repair a fibreglass garden fountain. The resin in that was pretty runny and was easily brushed on. I've just checked and it's branded 'Novol'.
Old 28th Jun 2022, 6:34 pm   #12
Cobaltblue

As not everyone will have seen it a before and after:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips 1.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	260026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips 2.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	260027  
Old 28th Jun 2022, 6:41 pm   #13
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Good grief!!! I’ve repaired some bad ones before, but that….! That is a mess! Top marks to him for getting that back together!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 28th Jun 2022, 7:27 pm   #14
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Its good to hear Mark getting some praise for a change, well deserved in this case.
It was the dial glass that I want to know more about, like others I would like to know what program was used and where you can get the glass silk screened.
I also noticed that the glass had 2 holes for the control shafts, cannot have been a cheap thing to do,

Peter
Old 28th Jun 2022, 7:39 pm   #15
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

There must still be some companies out there able to do this for a good price, I was actually looking for one myself, as I have 2 GEC BC4941’s with broken dial glasses, and I did find a company that can print any digital image onto glass, they mostly do things like kitchen splash backs, or large panels for your shower, but I guess they could do smaller things too! I haven’t got round to asking yet though..

Regards
Lloyd
Old 28th Jun 2022, 7:55 pm   #16
McMurdo
Dekatron

I do a bit of work in the printing industry and silk screen is used quite a bit, including here in the pottery industry. For mass production of course it's mostly automated. Every colour that's added needs a seperate screen making and a seperate cycle through the printer and dryer, (UV drying/curing is also used with special inks); I'm thinking of various radios that have cream, red, black and gold. If you turn the glass over you can usually make out how they're put together.

One of my clients uses a specially treated nylon screen, the artwork stencil (from the PC) is exposed onto the screen similar to photoresist pcb making, (direct imaging from a laser-style printer is also used); the screen is then cured and washed in a bath then put on the frame with the blank media underneath. The first colour is poured on top (flood coating) and squeezed through by hand or machine, (using a rubber squeege/blade);the screen is lifted and the media (glass/paper/whatever) is dried or cured ready for the next screen and colour application. At the end the screens are put in a machine and washed. The clients I'm thinking of print small labels for gallon liquid containers and posh labels for french champagne or slide-on transfers for designer coffee cups.

If there'a a DIY approach I dont know it
Old 28th Jun 2022, 8:53 pm   #17
wireman
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by telstar View Post
Whenever I wanted a scan of a dial to put on to acetate, how come I could not get it as good as they could on the "Repair Shop"? Certain colours did not come through as sharp to match the original (like when I wanted a scan on to acetate to match the Philco A535 radio).
Bear in mind that the scan was loaded into an image editing program on the Mac, I don't know what program that was.
The program supported layers so what he did was add graphical and most likely vector elements to a layer to completely reproduce what was underneath. He would have exported that layer or layers without the background for the finished file to be sent to be printed.
Old 29th Jun 2022, 12:58 am   #18
majoconz
Heptode

I have two very useful programmes for manipulating photos and scans.

The earliest one came with a Windows XP OS - a very early edition of Photoshop but much easier to drive - Adobe PhotoDeLuxe 2.0 - still available if you Google for it - but it won't run on anything later than XP. Excellent for removing unwanted TV antennas, adding objects etc. It wants to save in the old Adobe formats but it's easy to export in Jpeg.

The other programme is "Irfanview" which surely everyone uses by now!

This scale from a Sony CRF5090 which had distorted was scanned from my 3-in-1 printer and flattened with a warm clothes iron which shrunk it slightly so it was enlarged with Irfanview - then colours were adjusted in PhotoDL and printed onto plastic sheet by a local printshop - turned out very well.....

The whole story is here...https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sony_e...f_5090crf.html.....scroll right down to the bottom to 'scale repair'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scale warped sml 2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	260057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scale finished sml 2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	260058  

Last edited by majoconz; 29th Jun 2022 at 1:09 am.
Old 29th Jun 2022, 2:02 am   #19
retailer
Heptode

Back a few years and I used to do work for a silk screening business - redrawing images/logos etc and then printing them on overhead transparency sheets so the silk screen could be made, I used Corel Draw, the process was - scan the image, import into Corel, set up the various layers I'd need, trace the scanned image, when done turn off the image layer and laser print onto 1 or more transparency sheets depending on colour separations etc. Sadly I can't get my elderly copy of Corel X6 to run reliably on Win10 so I now use Inkscape, it is freeware, has most of the essential features that are needed layers etc, while it is not as good as Corel it is adequate.
Old 30th Jun 2022, 10:25 pm   #20
dougietamson
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
The one where Dominic Chinea made a replica glass scale by scanning in the original broken one, tidying up the image on his computer & getting it silk screened on a new piece of glass.
My qustion is: Does anyone know what program he was using to manipulate the image? It wasn't anything I recognised.
BTW, I thought Mark made a nice job of the cabinet; I've repared broken Bakelite cabinets with fibreglass myself but never one as bad at that.
Cheers
Mark
The software is Adobe Illustrator, vector based graphics. He used the digital photo bitmap taken from the broken glass plate as a base guide/template and then added vector based lines/shapes/text 'on top' to recreate the graphic. When the photo is removed, the Adobe Illustrator file can be sent to the print shop.
The advantage of vector based graphics is they can be scaled easily, a scan/digital photo will have needed a very high resolution to retain a level of detail if zoomed.

Doug.
Closed Thread