UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2022, 10:46 am   #1
g0hze snowy
Hexode

Default GPO double current morse key.

Hi All, i picked up the above key at the recent rally near Luton, it seems to be picture 010 in Morsemad .com web site, possibly manufactured by H.WHITE in 1918 and is likely to be one destiny for the colonies as it is nickel plated, not steel as a magnet not attracted to it, please correct me if i am wrong. it is missing a few parts as well as some damage namely to the glass window, it would appear that a PO tried to lever it out with a screwdriver and chipped it badly ( is there a good chip on glass?).

It seems to be on a paxolin base but again if i am wrong please advise

I am looking for a knob ( wood, ebony or brass?), a replacement window, if nothing now available then i have to approach a firm than cut me some plate glass to the correct size.

Have ordered some brass BA size screws to replace the missing ones.

Any advice and help very much appreciated as usual.
Old 24th May 2022, 11:04 am   #2
Station X

Default Re: GPO double current morse key.

Here's the best link I can manage:-

http://morsemad.com/dc.htm

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 24th May 2022, 11:49 am   #3
g0hze snowy
Hexode

Thanks Graham, i have that already, that is what i was able to ID it, have approached the local glass firm here and as it is so small they cant cut it to the size i need, 95mm.
I have now found that the metal IS brass but with a old lacquer coating, does anybody know of a sure fire way to remove that old coating without damaging the brass, the lacquer seems to have minute worm tracks under it!.
Old 24th May 2022, 12:01 pm   #4
Station X

Try a horology forum. I'm sure they'll know where to get a new glass cut for a clock face.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 24th May 2022, 3:33 pm   #5
Dave757
Heptode

Hi,

Unless the lacquer is in very poor condition or the metalwork corroded,
I would be hesitant to strip it and refinish it, as these keys are very collectible,
and the value could be impacted if the patina is disturbed.

The base is almost certainly bakelite.

Kind regards
Dave

Kind regards
Dave.
Old 24th May 2022, 3:55 pm   #6
g0hze snowy
Hexode

Hi Dave, thanks for your input. The finish is in poor condition hence my question about removing it and restoring the brass to a as new condition or as far as possible anyway.
OK on the 'collectable' bit, it will stay with me till i become either bored, broke or silent key then my boys can sort it out.
As John from morsemad.com stated, no spares available so it will not be original even when sorted, but hopefully it will looked the part
regards.
snowy g0hze
Closed Thread