UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 30th Dec 2021, 12:53 pm   #21
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: One Of The Best Hints I Ever Received

By coincidence, I taught a neighbour this trick yesterday. He was changing the rechargeable cells in a set of outdoor lights, the housing was of course cheap plastic held toghether with self-tapping screws.

Odd thing is, he'd been a machinist making milling cutters in his younger days, so he was hardly a stranger to using tools.
Old 30th Dec 2021, 12:55 pm   #22
stevehertz
Dekatron

The method sometimes doesn't work if the final lead out or lead in part of the thread on a nut or bolt is slightly malformed/bent, it will then have a tendency to tilt the nut/bolt no matter how much you back turn. It's all down to 'feel', and again this is conquered by experience telling you what's happening and knowing how to overcome it by how you position the nut or bolt. Sometimes I will file/chamfer offending parts to enable better initial take up.
Old 30th Dec 2021, 1:47 pm   #23
greg_simons
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
I've seen too many screws wrongly refitted, sometimes by careless repairmen
I disagree, they usually leave half of them OFF.
That's only kitchen table merchants!, professionals hate having a screw left over and the possibility of another strip down to find where it came from.
Greg.
Old 30th Dec 2021, 1:53 pm   #24
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_simons View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
I've seen too many screws wrongly refitted, sometimes by careless repairmen
I disagree, they usually leave half of them OFF.
That's only kitchen table merchants!, professionals hate having a screw left over and the possibility of another strip down to find where it came from.
Greg.
Rather depends what you call "professionals"! I've had many electrical/audio items returned with screws missing after being repaired by kosher high street electrical/TV/radio shops.
Old 30th Dec 2021, 2:07 pm   #25
The Philpott
Dekatron

-I wasn't aware of the JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) type of cross-head screw until recently, the screw type HOPEFULLY being identified by a dot on the head (same idea as the tell-tale extra radial lines on a pozidriv screw head)

It seems that a JIS s/driver may engage with a Philips screw, but a Philips s/driver will bottom out in a JIS screw before the drive faces have engaged. Owners of Japanese motorcycles have known about this for decades, but i think some of the screws i have managed to chew in the past could have been JIS (and i just blamed it on bad manufacturing)

Dave
Old 30th Dec 2021, 2:29 pm   #26
ms660
Dekatron

And if JIS screws won't slacken off using what screwdrivers you have, use a set of side cutters (90 degrees to the screw head) if there's room, worked every time for me.

Lawrence.
Old 1st May 2022, 9:08 pm   #27
avocollector
Heptode

I never knew that trick before - so many thanks for it
Closed Thread