UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 1st Dec 2005, 4:07 pm   #1
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Blaupunkt radiogram

I am probably just about scraping through on the reasons for putting it in this section - there were no real challenges on the electronics front, and it was a radiogram. There - I've said the "R" word now!
Here goes.

Collected from an ebay seller for the princely sum of a tenner. It was even better than it looked, as every single bit of documentation was present; packing lists, service manual, handbooks for radio and deck, deck template and even the HP agreement for £240 in 1965. A fair chunk of someone’s wages then. The cabinet did not have the slightest scratch on it.

When we got it home, a quick examination and powering up, first with the lamp limiter, showed that it worked; pots and wavechange switches were a bit crackly, and the two tuning pointers were sticking.

The EM87 also appeared to be a sort of a khaki colour. The previous owner, since deceased (understandably?), must have been a real member of the puff ‘n’ cough brigade – everything was covered in such a film of brown tar that I am sure you could have painted a couple of garden sheds with it.

OK – nothing fancy needed. Cleaned dial lamps and EM87, lubricated the drive pulleys, put switch cleaner on all the pots and switches.
Everything was cleaned cosmetically, including some foam but no rubbing on the inside of the scale.

It has an ECL86 and three speakers on each channel, LW/MW/SW.VHF. The VHF tuning drive doubles as SW bandspread, and apart from the usual treble and bass controls, there are more tone control switches than you can shake a stick at. Some of these are in the speaker circuitry.
Everything is on printed boards and the wavechange switches are on top, and very accessible for cleaning.

The joined mains lead was replaced properly, and the radio powered up. A quick check on the HT, ECL86 pentode grids and triode anodes and measurement of the high value AVC resistors showed that nothing at all needed to be done – reproduction is superb, and the original contact cooled bridge reccy is still fine - not a sign of hum!

The padded and buttoned illuminated cocktail cabinet had lost some of its buttons – these were the bifurcated brass jobbies obtained from the local office stationers. I gave the fabric and the mirrored base a wash, and did the same to the 15w pygmy bulb that appeared to be emitting a brown beam of light.

The deck appeared to run, but the autochange was stalling and jamming, so this was the final item to receive attention, and as it happened, needed the most attention.

We now have a really nice piece of furniture that does everything that it should, but, sadly, is virtually worthless.

The document attached is about the Garrard AT6 overhaul, as it is rather long and has quite a few pictures. The other picture is the item as received.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	original.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	2152  
Attached Files
File Type: zip AT6.zip (415.1 KB, 198 views)

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 1st Dec 2005 at 4:12 pm.
Old 1st Dec 2005, 6:59 pm   #2
ianj
Heptode

Default Re: Blaupunkt radiogram

these German grams are worthless, really--but, what a waste--a great AT6 autochanger, 6 speakers, vhf,etc. people always comment on mine when they come in the house--and they are very good, especially when you put a modern cartridge in them--get one while you still can...............another 4-5 years and they will be gone..................................ianj
Old 2nd Dec 2005, 8:02 am   #3
howard
Nonode

Hello Mike,

That is a wonderful radiogram, the only reason I suspect that its not worth much is cos its so big ! A brilliant worthwhile restoration, well done, and well beyond my ability !

Howard
Old 2nd Dec 2005, 8:42 am   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard
Hello Mike,

That is a wonderful radiogram, the only reason I suspect that its not worth much is cos its so big ! A brilliant worthwhile restoration, well done, and well beyond my ability !

Howard
Ssshh, Howard, don't tell anyone, but there may be an even bigger one on the way - Saba with motorised tuning and remote, no less. What is more, I may be allowed to keep both of them!
I wonder if there will ever be a a turning point for these beasties - I feel really sad when they are getting destroyed by the dozen; if I could afford a stately home or two, every room would have a few. However, I can't!
Watch this space......
Old 2nd Dec 2005, 4:52 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Nice work, Mike, shame we can't hear it too.

BTW, more on the deck here too: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=5799

Nick

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 2nd Dec 2005 at 4:56 pm.
Closed Thread