UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 21st Oct 2005, 6:01 pm   #1
Andrew c
Tetrode

Default Restored Hacker herald VHF

Hello All This poor radio came from a friend and has been sat in the corner for months last night I decided to have a go at restoring it. Well the the chassis was ok just needed an aerial and a good clean the case on the other hand was very dirty and the rexine had a rip in the front so gave me a chance to try recovering it and it is harder then it looks anyway I got there in the end it isn't perfect I know but looks better then before I started the scale is a bit naff so if anyone has a spare please PM me thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0101.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	1751   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0102.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1752   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0103.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	1753  
Old 21st Oct 2005, 6:05 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Restored Hacker herald VHF

Looks good.

The scale isn't too bad, is it? There's often damage to the periphery of these, due to the self-adhesive foam that was stuck onto them to prevent rattles.

Don't switch the gas on

Nick.
Old 21st Oct 2005, 9:08 pm   #3
Andrew c
Tetrode

thanks Nick I did remember to turn the gas off
Andy
Old 21st Oct 2005, 9:15 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

BTW, you can smarten up the volume knob by re-doing the white line:

Use a toothbrush and foam cleaner to get it really clean. Don't worry if the old white paint is lost.

Mask either side of (and above/below) the groove with Sellotape. Press it well down.

Then run a bit of Tippex (or white paint) into the line, using a tiny artists' brush.
Let it dry.

Finally, remove the tape, and scrape off any slight excess with a fingernail etc.

Polish the knob with a bit of Pledge/Mr Sheen etc.

This can make real difference to the set's appearance

Nick.
Old 26th Oct 2005, 9:57 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Andrew,

When you replaced the Rexine, did you also renew the foam padding which lives underneath (which was probably nothing but orange powder after 35 years or so)?

Nick.
Old 26th Oct 2005, 11:09 pm   #6
Andrew c
Tetrode

Hello Nick yes the foam padding was replaced the problem I had was with the corners as you can see I think the origonal was steam pressed allso repainted the line on the on/off volume control

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0108.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1809  

Last edited by Andrew c; 26th Oct 2005 at 11:14 pm.
Old 27th Oct 2005, 1:49 pm   #7
ianj
Heptode

Smile Re: Restored Hacker herald VHF

wow!! all these Hackers undergoing restoration--I must say that I think the Herald range is the absolute King when it comes to portable AM and FM listening............................I own one of each, and its a great pity that they didnt go up to 108mhz--several valve table sets did by the late 60s............................................ian j
Old 27th Oct 2005, 10:20 pm   #8
howard
Nonode

Hello Andy,

Gosh youre brave recovering a radio case with rexine !!! Not easy ..... I havent got a Herald yet but I know where there is a VHF one going, the rexine on that one has gone all flabby so if I acquire it Im going to try and tighten it up ....

Regards.....Howard
Closed Thread