UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2008, 9:14 am   #1
Monty_Stubble
Retired Dormant Member

Default Rheostat & Ammeter

Another recent acquisition but what was it produced for.

It came from a WW2 Royal Engineers officer and his widow claimed he brought it back with him.

What could he have been doing with it. It seems much older that WW2 but I may be wrong.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rheostat2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	17414  
Old 26th May 2008, 8:25 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Rheostat & Ammeter

Hi Chris, it definatley looks older than WW2, but it should restore and polish up nicely.
It could have been used to set a current to a particular level with a varying volyage source, possibly excitation on a generator set?

Ed
Old 26th May 2008, 9:47 pm   #3
AVO_VCM163
Retired Dormant Member

Possibly a detonation set. It seems to say "battery should not be connected except with safety key in place".

Similar instruments were used in the field, but agreed more 1910-1920 period.
They were used to first used to check circuit complete then adjust to full detonation current and operate key to detonate.
R
Old 27th May 2008, 11:32 am   #4
newlite4
Octode

I had one of these some years ago until I sold it at Wooton. It was used for charging batteries. The meter showed the charging current that could be varied with the attached rheostat. I believed that the equipment dated from the mid 1920s.
Neil
Old 27th May 2008, 12:39 pm   #5
newlite4
Octode

My previous post was a somewhat hasty reply, I recall now that in fact the equipment was a "cell tester". Varying ammounts of load could be applied with the rheostat whilst the condition of the cell could be ascertained through observation of the attached ammeter.
I hope that this helps, I will endeavour to fully engage thought processes before writing in future.
Neil