UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2017, 11:23 am   #1
Bookman
Hexode

Default Unknown Component (A fuse)

Just started looking at a Perpetuum-Ebner HSV 20T amp I bought from a website. It was advertised as no output on one channel but I was keen to buy it to complement my PE 2020 deck.
A general overview reveals a bit of untidy soldering but also a component I am not familiar with. It is connected in series with the output speaker connection and is extremely small measuring 8mm long x 4mm dia. It reads zero ohms.
There is one missing so there will obviously be no output on one channel but I am loathed to just short the terminal to test? Does anyone know what it is? I don't have any diagrams but would assume it is some form or current limiting device.
I would also ask if anyone can provide an ordering description for the silver coloured possible capacitor shown in the DC supply circuit. It is labelled FRAKO W. Germany + 100/35 (HH) only it has white powder at one terminal.
Last but not least are the O/P Transistors which are VALVO AD139 the status of which is unknown at this time.
In the event all is not well can anyone advise recommended supplier or possible better replacements for consideration.
Thanking you all in advance I remain forever thankful.
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00908.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	153863   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00909.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	153864   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00910.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	153865   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00911.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	153866   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00912.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	153867  

Old 12th Dec 2017, 11:37 am   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Unknown Component

Fuses....1.5 amp according to the manual, manual available from elektrotanya.

Lawrence.
Old 12th Dec 2017, 11:38 am   #3
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

The capacitor is a 100uF/35v electrolytic, and, as you note, is duff. Replacements are readily available. The plug-in thing is probably a simple fuse - could conceivably be an inductor, but I can't see why that would be made a plug-in.
Old 12th Dec 2017, 12:09 pm   #4
McMurdo
Dekatron

http://www.littelfuse.com/products/f...fuses/262.aspx
Old 12th Dec 2017, 12:49 pm   #5
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I almost if not quite, treat Frako Electrolytics as 'replace on sight, having some time ago found two of their Radial Electrolytics to be short circuit in the same 1980s Blaupunkt Car Stereo. Those fuses (or similar types) are often encountered in continental equipment, but usually in items using printed circuit boards
Old 12th Dec 2017, 4:16 pm   #6
dazzlevision
Dekatron

The plug in fuse was made by Wickmann of Germany (now owned by Littlefuse of the USA, since 2006). Their logo (shown in your close up photo) is based on the letter "W".
Old 12th Dec 2017, 4:42 pm   #7
Bookman
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
Well Kev I am dumfounded as I never knew fuses were made that small and at such ratings. I wonder what they use for the fuse element; probably a slither of solder perhaps?
But hey, ultra many thanks for the link and compliments for the season.
Joe
Old 15th Dec 2017, 11:34 pm   #8
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Following on from my comments in post #5, earlier today I was checking a Motorola 114 Car Radio. This 1970s UK made AM set uses 4 Frako Electrolytics, and as the fault was 'no reception, I suspected, and was proved right, that one of the Frako caps was faulty - indeed C14 (400uf) which decouples the supply to the RF/IF stages was virtually short-circuit, so that has been replaced with a nodern 470u 16v. The others will also be replaced as a precaution! Motto; Always at least suspect Frako Electrolytics, preferably replace them!
Closed Thread