UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 30th May 2016, 6:30 pm   #1
Neil Purling
Nonode

Default Metal rectifiers & HT smoothing components.

Inside a radio is a pair of Brimar RM3 in series rectfying the mains AC to make the HT supply.
Are they to be trusted at all, or do I regard them like I would the waxies I found within that receiver?. I wondered if one can tell how they'd cope under load.

How does one represent a Selenium rectifier on a circuit diagram?
I have the smoothing can to replace (it has puked). It was a 100+100uf @450V.
That sounds excessive. The can was not dated, so I have no idea if it was original or not.
Although the equipment was low end it has a choke between the capacitor sections rather than a resistor.
Old 30th May 2016, 6:52 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Metal rectifiers & HT smoothing components.

I would be surprised if that smoothing capacitor was original. 100uF seems very large to me. You don't give the model (or approximate date) of the radio but most valve radios used 8uF or 16uF.

The normal symbol for a metal rectifier (or at least the one I have seen) is the same as that for a normal semiconductor diode. I guess you could write 'Se' alongside it to indicate it is selenium (I have seen 'Ge' and 'Si' alongside diode and transistor symbols to indicate germanium or silicon)
Old 30th May 2016, 6:59 pm   #3
paulsherwin

The cap might be original with a metal rectifier, though it does seem rather large.

Metal rectifiers generally fail gradually, dropping more and more voltage and getting hotter. I usually change them as part of a refurb because it is good preventative maintenance and costs very little. One or two 1N4007s plus a 200 ohm resistor is normally about right. Some people don't change them in the absence of a fault though.
Old 30th May 2016, 9:36 pm   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I normally regard Selenium rectifiers as 'replace on sight' because of the by now well documented possibility of failure. Somewhere stored away is a 'Standard' (Waltham') mains/battery record player which has a blue finned metal rectifier in it's mains PSU. If, or when,I get around torefurbishing it, that rectifier will go!
Old 31st May 2016, 11:03 am   #5
Neil Purling
Nonode

After removing them they were actually RM2's. One read 348K, the other 1.38M & that is the only direction I could get any reading. I know how putrid they smell when they die catastrophically from experience. Not an experience I wish to re-visit!
As the rectifiers were not in a good stage, electrically or cosmetically I binned them.
I have one Radiospares rectifier of similar appearance I could leave there for appearances sake.
The original RM2's had obviously been living somewhere damp.
Closed Thread