UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Apr 2016, 2:28 pm   #1
valveaudio
Hexode

Default Quad 34 transistors

Please ignore previous thread, wrong type number.

The Quad 34 schematic shows BC214C PNP and E5270 NPN transistors.
I think I could use BC556/558 and BC550 to replace these, any advice or comments on this?.

Thanks
Trevor
Old 28th Apr 2016, 7:02 pm   #2
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Quad 34 transistors

Having just done a spot of web searching, as I see it (far from conclusive!) the former can be replaced with a BC557 and the latter a BC549.

Just out of interest, I recently had a faulty 2SC1571 in a receiver I was working on, and until the proper replacement arrived (BC184L) I used a basic, general purpose 2N4401 just to 1) prove that the trannie was faulty and 2) just to see if I could hear anything amiss. The set worked fine with my 'rogue' 2N4401 fitted! Of course I fitted the BC184L when it arrived. But it just goes to show, maybe we stress too much sometimes when fitting replacement transistors. Of course you have to be aware of over running trannies by voltage or current, but there you go, in my case that totally 'wrong' trannie worked fine.
Old 28th Apr 2016, 7:50 pm   #3
paulsherwin

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BC108_family.

The BC182/3/4 are electrically identical to the BC547/8/9. The BC212/3/4 are identical to the BC557/8/9.
Old 28th Apr 2016, 9:13 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, note that these BC182/ 212 types come with different pin-outs (K & L types). identify the pin outs first and bend legs if they are not correct.

Ed
Closed Thread