UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jun 2015, 12:57 pm   #1
Dickie
Octode

Default Brooklands Aviation Wireless Centenary-20th June

Rather short notice, but I've just come across this:

http://brooklandswireless.com/centenary.html

Richard, BVWS member
Old 18th Jun 2015, 4:13 pm   #2

Default Re: Brooklands Aviation Wireless Centenary-20th June

Any excuse to ride my bike, I'll be going there. The morning looks like drizzle, just right for the enclosed exhibits, afternoon fine, time for the outdoor ones.

I went there a few years ago, well worth going to see. Some days you can get a spin round (along) what's left of the track for a quid or two, great fun!

Old 20th Jun 2015, 11:06 am   #3
Silicon
Nonode

I'm warming up the Eddystone.

Will I be able to hear anything from Brooklands on shortwave?
Old 20th Jun 2015, 1:17 pm   #4

Just got back, the radio display is a little disappointing, the rest was very good though. Worth the trip. Handy hint, go at the weekend, the place is run by volunteers and they turn up at weekends. I went a few years ago on a Monday, most outdoor exhibits (the aeroplanes) where shut.

The amateur radio station used a 15 foot (a guess) vertical fed via (quite a bit) co-ax, the operator didn't know how it was loaded/matched or even earthed. He was trying to get something on 40m (7MHz), not a lot was happening. A bit odd as 40m is usually full of signals. The vertical was about 20 feet up and looked like a CB antenna.

Old 20th Jun 2015, 1:54 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

40's working nicely at the moment. Plenty of stations and plenty of gaps all the way down to S1 (!) I've just heard a couple of GB stations: GB2NM and GB2MKM. I'll keep looking, but if they don't know how their vertical is tuned, or what they're using for a groundplane, they may have a very weak station.

David