UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Apr 2014, 3:41 pm   #21
paulsherwin

Default Re: Job lot of old valves found

I agree, you're not going to retire on the proceeds of that lot.

Dealers usually aren't very interested in pulls unless they are rare and valuable. I would group them into TV and radio valves and sell one or more lots of each on eBay. If you try to sell them individually many won't find a bidder, even with a 99p start.

Realistically you shouldn't expect to get more than a fiver for a lot of 20, and possibly a lot less. They would fetch more if you had them tested, but not a lot more.
Old 20th Apr 2014, 6:05 pm   #22
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Most of the octal valves, EF39 for instance are radio valves and are probably worth a pound or two if someone is looking for one, also some of the 9 pin ones. The best way to find their value is to look on ebay, not at the asking prices but the ones the actually sold for.

Peter
Old 20th Apr 2014, 6:10 pm   #23
julie_m
Dekatron

The ECC85s and UCC85s will be useful; many sets with FM seem to need a new one of these valves.
Old 20th Apr 2014, 7:29 pm   #24
paulsherwin

Unfortunately it was common practice for service engineers to keep an old valve when it was replaced, and this is likely to be the source of many of the radio types. The TV types are likely to have been harvested from scrap TVs so may be in better condition. It's all guesswork unless they're tested though.
Old 21st Apr 2014, 12:56 am   #25
Clydeuk
Hexode

I am in need of a couple of UCC85 valves to restore VHF on 2 old radio's I have if you're interested in parting with a couple?
Old 21st Apr 2014, 2:08 am   #26
Refugee
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
If you know what those valves are, and they test good, does lack of print make a huge difference? I suppose knowing the maker would help, too.
The damaged print does not make any difference to the sound quality and in my case they are all hidden in a very sturdy cast metal cabinet.
They stay to be enjoyed where they are.
Old 21st Apr 2014, 6:30 pm   #27
llama
Octode

A quick look at the modded list shows there are audio types which would probably be lumped in with radio types. For example EZ80/81 used in the famous Mullard 5-10, ditto 12AX7 (=ECC83), but the latter can also be found in TVs and guitar amps. I noticed a UL84 - commonplace in Dansette-type record players.
Graham
Old 21st Apr 2014, 9:35 pm   #28
Radio Wrangler

I believe 6J6=ECC91

David
Old 21st Apr 2014, 10:52 pm   #29
rufford155
Retired Dormant Member

You guys are fantastic ! Many thanks.

Do these sorts of valves generally go OK on ebay?
Can anybody add anything on those Mark has not identified.

Just a bit of background info.
The person this stuff came from was my deceased brother-in-law and we've had it for several years but at last getting round to sorting it due to a mooted house move.He was an enthusiastic but amateur repairer of all things electrical.
I don't think he would have kept the valves if they were not working but I can't be absolutely certain.
I don't think he was on any forum like this or in any societies but again can't be sure.
If anyone knew him his name was James (Jim) Disley.
Cheers, John

Last edited by AC/HL; 22nd Apr 2014 at 11:48 am. Reason: PS merged
Old 24th Apr 2014, 1:34 pm   #30
Meat Pye
Retired Dormant Member

If you're going to sell on ebay, then at least test the filaments for continuity. You then sell them as used/untested but filaments good. Any valve with an open filament and/or looking milky can still be sold as display only if they look interesting enough (large size, two top caps etc.). Sell them in pairs or singly - this will increase your feedback rating quickly even if you make little money out of them.
Old 24th Apr 2014, 2:57 pm   #31
paulsherwin

The valve codes starting with 30 are also 1950s TV valves.

You can look up individual codes here.
Old 25th Apr 2014, 9:04 am   #32
mark pirate
Dekatron

Another good site for looking up valve info is here: http://www.r-type.org/inx/name.htm

Click on the first digit of the valve you are looking for, then select from the list.

Mark
Old 26th Apr 2014, 2:36 pm   #33
rufford155
Retired Dormant Member

Meat Pye : Thanks but I don't have the knowledge or equipment to be able to test them so that's a no go. I have already sold over 800 bits and bobs of all sorts on ebay over the years so I don't need to increase my exposure or improve my feedback which is 100%. I have 95 items on right now.

Paul: Thanks for directing me to tdls. which was useful and also led me to the National Valve Museum, also from Mark - thanks, and other links. I found the majority through them and then Googled the last few which gave me 10FB/977 to be a Sun-Vic Vacuum Switch and GN4A to be a Numerical Indicator(whatever they are!). And Google even found my own list on this forum listed at 5th from the top!

There are now only 9 unidentified - 6X21; 30P15; B152; C84; ECH8; ECL8; GD2; L13 AND PL200. It's possible I guess that some lettering has rubbed off or I have misread them so I am going to check them again.

I have decided to put them on ebay in batches of 20 or so. I will batch them in categories as defined on National Valve Museum - TV, Radio, Car Radio, Audio, Rectifier and by the letter codes, then the last few oddballs and unknowns.

Any comments on this strategy much appreciated.
Old 7th Aug 2014, 11:41 pm   #34
rufford155
Retired Dormant Member

UPDATE

It's been a while but I thought I'd keep you all informed.
I managed to catalogue all the valves and determine uses (mostly) using various websites and your help of course.
I put them on ebay in 10 job lots and have now sold them all, quickly, for approaching £70.
I am very happy with this.
Thanks for your interest.
Regards, John
Old 8th Aug 2014, 12:05 am   #35
AC/HL
Dekatron

Thanks for the thanks, it's nice to be (collectively) appreciated. Not a bad outcome and a nice little windfall. Well done.
Closed Thread