UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jun 2016, 4:15 pm   #1
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default ID PCB & Circuit ?

Anyone know what this board is from? Also was the PCB made like this to deter copying ? Anyone know how it was made?

John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SN851180.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	125447   Click image for larger version

Name:	SN851181.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	125448  
Old 3rd Jun 2016, 5:17 pm   #2
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Default Re: ID PCB & Circuit ?

Looks to me like a prototype board that they never finished wiring up?
Unless there are connections on a buried layer I reckon it's waiting for some point to point wiring.

I could be wrong though!
Old 3rd Jun 2016, 5:22 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I think there are buried layers.

It looks somewhat IBM-ish to me, but I can't think what it came out of.
Old 3rd Jun 2016, 5:31 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Yes it does look to be IBM-style. Could be from almost anything: a terminal, a cluster-controller, a tape-drive, a DASD-controller, a minicomputer. The same style was used on all of them (up to and including the 30XX mainframes).

There are buried layers, yes: I recall seeing the early CAD shortest-path-routing-system used to design them when I visited IBM Hursley in the late-1970s. It could even do things like sometimes putting little zigzags as 'delay lines' in short routes so the clock-signals arrived at all the desired places precisely in-phase with the signals that had (of necessity) traversed longer paths.
Old 4th Jun 2016, 10:16 am   #5
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

What is not clear on the picture there is a 24pin end entry socket mounted across the end of board, could be mistaken for another chip. The big chip is Intel 77. So late 70s IBM would seem right,

John.
Old 4th Jun 2016, 11:45 pm   #6
Dual Standard
Hexode

Without doubt it is IBM but not one I ever remember seeing, the additional connector pins on the top edge are very unusual. The white plastic section on the reverse side of the card has slots that mated with locating lugs on the board that the card plugged into. This style of logic was referred to as MST.

The 1470828 is a part number but it may not be for the populated board, 53G probably relates to a manufacturing plant, 55 was Greenock, 57 Havant and I think 53 was Vimercate so it maybe from an early EPOS system.

Mike

Last edited by Dual Standard; 4th Jun 2016 at 11:45 pm. Reason: Spotted a typo
Old 5th Jun 2016, 6:41 am   #7
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Thank You Mike, I think some one will come up with its use eventually. Every bit of information is one step closer.

John.
Closed Thread