UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Apr 2016, 9:02 am   #1
Emibell
Tetrode

Default Winding spec Rogers Cadet 3 output transformer

Hi, Does anyone have the winding specs for the output transformer, I haven't been able to find them on the net. Cheers,
Old 25th Apr 2016, 8:31 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Winding spec Rogers Cadet 3 output transformer

Hi, if you have the original then strip it and reverse engineer it.
Most of the stuff should be available, but use Grade 2 enamelled wire when you re-wind and you will not need it interleave the layers with paper. It will be still necessary to insulate between windings.
It will be a thousand or so turns on the primaries, a hundred or so on the secs.
These commonly went faulty on this amps as they were a bit "weak"

Ed
Old 26th Apr 2016, 10:03 am   #3
Emibell
Tetrode

Hi Ed, Thanks for that. Reason I am asking is that mine seems to be OK except for the outer winding and I was thinking to restore just that bit. Problem is I'm not sure how it connects .... There are 5 soldering lugs and it would appear to go between the outer two. Each of these has two wires attached and in each case one of the wires is broken while the other appears intact. Would you be able to say if this is my assumption is correct or not. Many Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	123465  
Old 26th Apr 2016, 3:14 pm   #4
Emibell
Tetrode

P.S. By 'intact' I mean it disappears into the main body and is assumed to be connected properly.
Old 26th Apr 2016, 8:56 pm   #5
bikerhifinut
Octode

Daft question time here:
The broken wires you mention, would it be possible to rejoin them maybe with a small link of wire?
If you can see the problem there and it can be repaired without major surgery?
Apologies if I have the wrong end of the stick.
Can you show a photo? That might help more learned people than I to diagnose?
Andy.
Old 26th Apr 2016, 8:59 pm   #6
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi, not sure how the Rogers was configured, but sometimes the sec was sandwiched either side of the centre pri, with a link wire between the 2.
It should be an easy task to re-do the sec if that is the case (it is the winding with the thicker wire)

Ed
Old 26th Apr 2016, 9:51 pm   #7
Emibell
Tetrode

Here's the culprit with the flying wires sticking out the sides. I connected a 200 ohm resistor across these tags and then measured resistances across all pairs of tags. (I think that's roughly the same as you said Andy). It then behaved as far as I can see in the same way a good one would so I think it may be as simple as that - it's the outside coil. Worth a tenner for some wire to find out, I think I'll give it a go. Thanks for the replies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	123500  
Old 26th Apr 2016, 10:04 pm   #8
bikerhifinut
Octode

Nothing to lose I guess.
It might be worth finding out how much a pro rewind might cost if your fix doesn't work, The amps are worth fettling.
I think outfits like Majestic can do them, they certainly have the specs for leak quad and radford transformers and can do either new replacements or rewinds.

Good luck and fingers crossed.
Old 27th Apr 2016, 7:14 am   #9
Emibell
Tetrode

Pro rewind = loads a' cash I fear..... might come to that though.
As a matter of interest someone sold me a tranny that was quite a bit bigger than this original but I fitted it in and replaced the big electrolytic cans with new smaller radials and the amp is running smooth and silent at normal volume. I would like to restore the broken one as a spare though. Cheers,
Old 27th Apr 2016, 10:27 am   #10
jjl
Octode

Ed Dinning rewound one of these for me in 2003 or 2004 and the price was very reasonable. It's still going strong too, thanks Ed .
I'm sure that Ed's rewound quite a few Cadet output transformers as the originals seem so fragile.

John
Closed Thread