UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 4th Feb 2013, 2:43 pm   #1
Hampus
Pentode

Default Philips K9.

This tuning cap in my Philips K9 also went open a few years ago. I was watching the set when the picture suddenly collapsed and there was a loud and nasty high voltage flashover. I jumped out of the sofa and turned the set off. A search on google told me that this capacitor was a common fault on Philips K9 and that it could result in such horrible damage as a punctured CRT.

I took the back cover off, I felt sorry for myself and expected the worst has happened. But no damage could be seen on the CRT, and after I replaced the capacitor the TV worked perfectly again and has done so for several years now.

Always replace this capacitor! Not everyone is as lucky as I was, and a capacitor is much cheaper and easier to get than a new CRT!
Old 14th Feb 2013, 4:17 am   #2
Billy T
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Philips K9.

They could sometimes run for a brief period with a very small and bright picture, during which time they were reputedly generating X-Rays.

It was a tribute to the quality of Philips Loptx and triplers that they could withstand that treatment. The caps failed open circuit, and in some cases, if the line output transistor did not succumb to the flyback peak, they could run long enough for the EHT to perforated the neck of the CRT.

I seem to recall that it was the light green tuning caps that failed, the dark green ones were very reliable but if they did fail, it was always short-circuit and no harm was done.

Cap value was 11n5 if I recall correctly.

Cheers

Billy
Old 14th Feb 2013, 10:28 am   #3
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I assume it's the fifth-harmonic tuning across the LOPTx?
Old 16th Feb 2013, 2:56 am   #4
Hampus
Pentode

This problem seems to plague more of Philips models. I have a K9.

It's about the capacitor(s) across the horizontal output transistor. Some models of K9 had two caps in parallel, some had just one cap. The total capacitance was 11.5nf anyway.
Closed Thread