UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Nov 2005, 8:56 pm   #1
Andrew c
Tetrode

Default Roberts R404

Hello All this Roberts R404 was purchased from ebay for £5.80 and was very manky the radio was first tested and found not to work so I begun my investegation and found the culprit a short AF117 with the chassis working I turned my atention to the case scale and knobs these were all scrubbed and polished and the badge was removed I used a small screw driver and a small hammer to tap the plastic pins out care must be taken when removing plastic parts then the badge was repainted left to dry and refitted in went the chassis and job complete I find it very satisfying to sit and listen to a radio that might have been thrown away but has now been saved

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0190.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	2056   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0192.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	2057   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0193.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	2058  
Old 22nd Nov 2005, 10:47 pm   #2
Colin
Heptode

Default Re: Roberts R404

Nice Job Andrew. What did you paint the badge with and what do you use to polish the case?
Old 22nd Nov 2005, 11:15 pm   #3
Andrew c
Tetrode

Hello stretch I used plasticoat chrome effect spray paint to do the badge and Mr sheen furniture polish to do the case and autosol for the metal work and a bit elbow grease

Andy
Old 22nd Nov 2005, 11:18 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes, that badge looks good from here

And as you say, transforming somebody's rubbish into an attractive and useful item is very satisfying - as well as environmentally friendly, I suppose

Nick.
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 9:14 am   #5
Colin
Heptode

Thanks Andrew, the finish is first class. I suspect there's a lot of elbow grease in the mix
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 10:31 am   #6
howard
Nonode

Gosh, thats nicer than the one Ive got Well done Andy, and the repainted badge looks very good, must do mine now !

Howard
Closed Thread