UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 13th Nov 2005, 1:36 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default 1960 TR82B - from spare parts

Hello again

Over the past few months Ive bought around 30 TR82/VTR103s from eBay and Harpenden etc, most of which have been restorable but inevitably some arrived damaged, one or two were not described accurately, and some I acquired just for spares and Ive accumulated quite a few bits, some of which I have sold to folk here. So yesterday I decided to build a TR82B from my pile of bits and it turned out rather well

I recently acquired a non working grubby TR82B from another collector (waves to Alvin) for around a fiver, with a damaged rear panel, tarnished brass BUT with all four mountings in the middle part of the case intact and the brown rexine in reasonable condition I never attempt to repair the mountings on these, Im just too fussy about originality I guess....

So I stripped it down, discarded the rear panel and stored the front panel for restoration later. I removed the tarnished brass trims and replaced them with ones I had restored earlier. Best way to restore these I find is to strip off any remaining varnish with Nitromors, then polish up with Brasso and then recoat with an oil based varnish, not with an airbrush but simply by smearing it on between thumb and forefinger, messy but it works fine. I put those back on and then cleaned the rexine - note I clean the case after replacing these trims cos once the rexine has been dampened one cant get the trims back on without the rexine peeling off around the edges. Once dried I then touched up the small nicks in the rexine with Japanese matt acrylic modelling paint, black mixed with a touch of yellow to match the brown rexine exactly. The front and rear panels and top mouldings were all from different TR82Bs, with all the brasswork previously removed and polished and all the minor scratches polished out with Safecut and Mr Sheen. The handle just needed a clean. The dial, unfortunately with a chrome bezel, I cleaned in upholstery cleaner and then spun in a drill, and polished out all the scratches with Brasso and Safecut.

I got the chassis working, usual problems, dirty waveband switch contacts (cleaned with switch cleaner) and noisy variable condensor. This one was noticeably stiff so I removed the adjuster and under that there are four tiny ball bearings. The grease around these had dried up completely, so I smeared on some Castrol LM grease, popped it back on, put a spot of oil on the bearing at the other end and it works fine now

I reassembled the TR82B and apart from a chrome bezel on the dial its all there and Im very pleased with it, its just as good as the other TR82Bs in my collection, even if its not entirely original

Howard

PS: Has anyone got a spare brass bezel please ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tr82bfrombits.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	1958  

Last edited by howard; 13th Nov 2005 at 2:04 pm.
Old 15th Nov 2005, 10:37 pm   #2
Andrew c
Tetrode

Default Re: 1960 TR82B - from spare parts

Hello Howard that's a fine looking radio cocidering you raided your parts bin build it it proves the old saying evrything comes in handy at sometime well done on another great job

Andy
Closed Thread