UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Apr 2008, 9:03 pm   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question Garrard 3500/Sonotone 9TAH-Correct Stylus Pressure?

Does anyone know what the correct pressure is for the above? I have unearthed a data sheet for the 2T, 8t4A, and 9TA, for which the recommended stylus pressures are 9. 5. and 2-4 grams repectively. A 9TAH fitted to a Garrard 3500 autochanger( One of the better autochangers IMHO ) is tracking OK at 3.5grams on records of all 3 speeds. Would it be best left as it is, or could/should I reduce the S.P. to under 3 grams?
Old 10th Apr 2008, 9:17 pm   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Garrard 3500/Sonotone 9TAH-Correct Stylus Pressure?

This site gives the specs for Sonotone cartridges and suggests a tracking force of 3-4 grams for changers, 1.5-3 grams for professional arms.

http://www.roger-russell.com/sonopg/...htm#cartridges

Regards, Mick.
Old 11th Apr 2008, 9:40 am   #3
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

For some reason the link doesn't seem to work, Mick. It just brings up a blank screen. Not to worry. 3.5 grams seems to be fine in the 3500 deck. Thanks, anyway
Old 11th Apr 2008, 10:04 am   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Just went back to the Roger Russel site, Mick. It opened OK this time. Must have been a 'glitch' on this computer! The data there, whilst not specifically mentioning the 9TAH, confirms that 3.5grams is OK, as do my listening tests, so I'l leave it as it is
Closed Thread