UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Feb 2008, 12:04 am   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question The First Long Playing Record

This may have been covered before, if so apologies for raising it again, but What was the first(presumably 10")LP Called, and when was it issued? I'm assuming late 1940s in the USA. Following on from that, when was the first Stereo LP issued, and what was it?
Old 24th Feb 2008, 2:23 am   #2
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Default Re: The First Long Playing Record

The first LP's came out pre-war.
By the late 40's, 33 and 45 were available.
During the 50's, often there was a choice of record, 78 or 45, and that continued for some years.
(I still have some Vinyl 78's as well as some early rock music, including Elvis Presley on 78.)

Stereo came in around the mid-late 50's, and although there must have been others, all I can remember were assorted test records, all of which seemed to include a train whistle, moving from one speaker to the other.
Old 24th Feb 2008, 2:59 am   #3
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

This may be of some interest. There's a reference to 33 1/3rpm appearing in, I think, 1927 and another reference to the 'LP' being developed in 1948. Confusing really.
Old 24th Feb 2008, 6:29 am   #4
tsgunnell
Retired Dormant Member

It makes a mention of the 16 s .has anybody ever seen one i never did
Old 24th Feb 2008, 12:21 pm   #5
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

The first LP of the modern era was Columbia ML 4001, released in June 1948, recorded on 16th March 1945 :-

http://www.audionautes.com/LP_CD/cla...ic/ml-4001.htm

RCA Victor had introduced vinyl LPs in 1932 but were forced to withdraw them after customer complaints, The heavy pickups of the time destroyed them! An interesting article on LP development here:-

http://home.sprynet.com/~musicin/audiohistoryLP.html

I suppose Thomas Edison came up with the first true "LP" format 80 years ago, 12 inches diameter running at 30 RPM to give half an hour recording per side, intended for radio station use in September 1928. The first of these experimental "Diamond Discs" can be heard here:-

http://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/8654

Regards, Mick.
Old 24th Feb 2008, 12:52 pm   #6
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I didn't know about the unsuccesful pre-WWII RCA LPs, although I did know that Edison had pioneered the format. As to 78s, I, too have some Vinyl ones(Pye-Nixa & Mercury)
Pye were the only(British)company to produce them, although I vaguely recall seeing a vinyl Durium 78 somewhere back in 1959
Old 24th Feb 2008, 12:59 pm   #7
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgunnell View Post
It makes a mention of the 16 s .has anybody ever seen one i never did

See this thread, which exists in the forum archives.
Old 26th Feb 2008, 10:22 am   #8
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I have attached a couple of pictures of an early DECCA LP record. The sleeve is dated July 1950 but may have been recorded in '49. The record is a 10" vinyl but of a much harder type than the later recordings.
Despite it being a 'FFRR' the general sound quality does not match the 78's of the period. I guess this is due to the low modulation required to prevent groove jumping with this early technology.
The label has a distinct '78' look about it. Record number LF 1018. Ronnie Munroe and his orchestra. The Blue Danube.

Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Decca LP 1950.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	15510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Decca LP 1950 (1).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	15511  
Old 28th Feb 2008, 11:47 pm   #9
smeagoluk
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
This may have been covered before, if so apologies for raising it again, but What was the first(presumably 10")LP Called, and when was it issued? I'm assuming late 1940s in the USA. Following on from that, when was the first Stereo LP issued, and what was it?
Lp actually refers to a record playing longer than a standard 10" 78 so therefore any 12 inch 78 would be an LP.Next along is the multi track lp that would probably be a V disc i have a few with more than 2 tracks on and they are Vinyl not Shellac and these are early 40's the precursor to the vinyl records we know today..............Paul
Old 1st Mar 2008, 12:18 am   #10
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Weren't the V discs made for Radio Broadcasts in America? I seem to remember a Radio 2 program(me)about them, presented by Dave Gelly, some time ago.
Old 4th Mar 2008, 7:12 pm   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Some early Decca 10" 33rpm microgrooves were sold as MPs i.e. Medium Play records.

I came across one from 1955 today with (I think) 2-3 of Dvorak's Slavonic dances on each side, so the playing time must have been only ~10 mins/side.

Nick.
Old 5th Mar 2008, 5:17 pm   #12
Aerodyne
Octode

Quote:
V-Disc was a record label produced during the World War II era by special arrangement between the United States government and various private U.S. record companies. The records were produced for use of United States military personnel overseas. Many popular singers, big bands and orchestras of the era recorded special V-Disc records. These 12-inch, 78 rpm gramophone recordings were created between 1943 and 1949. The "V" stands for "Victory".
Wikipedia, of course. More to the point, by 1942, 16" 33 rpm vinyl transcriptions of radio programme material were being sent Europe-wards for the US troops. That counts as a long-play record, in my book
-Tony
Old 5th Mar 2008, 6:05 pm   #13
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

There are some interesting details on some RCA Victor 16" 33 1/3 RPM Radio Transcription discs from 1935 over on another forum:-

http://www.network54.com/Forum/27140...-+Red+and+Ruth

The labels state, "Use RCA Victor 100% shadowgraphed half volume steel needles with 3 ounce pressure on needle point" I guess they weren't intended to last more than a couple of playings! .

Regards, Mick.
Closed Thread