UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 4th May 2019, 9:18 pm   #21
sparkymike
Octode

Default Re: AVO model 8

Hi Dave,
yes on X-100 range needle is reading infinity with probes touching. Other two ohms ranges are fine and can be zeroed ok.
Old 5th May 2019, 8:11 am   #22
sparkymike
Octode

Having had a closer look at the top cover on an original meter, I am now wondering if they were made in brass and not alloy. This particular original cover has brass tint around the edge where the black paint has worn off.
Mike.
Old 5th May 2019, 9:18 am   #23
sparkymike
Octode

Re. top range, best I try it again with the small battery!! Ha! senior moment.
Mike.
Old 5th May 2019, 11:07 am   #24
The Philpott
Dekatron

The battery helps! But...it surprises me that the needle did anything at all without the battery fitted for the high range. I was starting to think it might be (another) switching problem.

I haven't seen a brass cover for the battery compartment YET, but that doesn't mean they didn't make brass ones.. They certainly interchanged between Brass and Ally for scaleplates and instruction plates. A brass battery compartment cover would be preferable as it's less likely to get chewed up where the screws tighten down....? When painting such things i start with Hammerite special metals primer (which has a shortish shelf life- being water based eventually it eats it's own can!)

It sounds like you are close to having a fully serviceable meter..

Dave
Old 6th May 2019, 7:12 am   #25
sparkymike
Octode

Hi Dave,
Had another look at a top cover and it is alloy. Looked like brass on the edges , but must have been some sort of etch primer for the alloy.
I have about four or five to make as they often turn up missing which is why the battery box is found to be rather grubby and full of cobwebs etc.
Got a few others to sort, but gaining knowledge all the time and I would much rather play around with one of these, than the 8 mk.5's., which to me was a retrograde step by AVO and they seem cheap and flimsy compared to earlier models.
Mike.
Closed Thread