UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Sep 2006, 3:22 pm   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Spendor, Coles/Celestion - suppliers thereof.

Does anyone know where I can get replacement tweeters(which I beleive are Celestion HF1300s, thought there is no brand name on them) for the above? Failing this what would be a suitable, readily available alternative?
(They are 3-hole fixing, 75mm diameter flange, and 60mm diameter magnet)
Old 1st Sep 2006, 4:43 pm   #2
howard
Nonode

Default Re: Spendor BC1 Speakers

Hello Livewire,

Spendor are still in business, see

http://www.spendoraudio.com

And they are the sort of company who will almost certainly will keep new tweeters for your rather nice BC1s. I wish I'd bought these many years ago at Merrow Sound in Guildford, instead I bought Rogers LS7s there, very similar, but the BC1s were better and a lot more money.

Howard
Old 2nd Sep 2006, 8:28 am   #3
howard
Nonode

Hello Michael,

The BC1s were built right up until 1994 and I see on the website that the BBC have 600 pairs of them, which must need spares from time to time.

Good luck,

Howard
Old 2nd Sep 2006, 9:29 am   #4
Superhet Si
Pentode

Just had a look at an old HIFI choice review on these speakers and the do indeed use the Celestion speaker HF1300. Trouble is you SHOULD change them in pairs! Ring celestion and they may offer to rebuild them.
Thats the beauty of being built in GB!
Old 3rd Sep 2006, 8:38 am   #5
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Comparing the illustration of these with the units fitted to the Spendors in the BC1s in question(serial nos. in the 4400 range) I would say the originals are Coles Tweeters,not Celestions. There are no brand names on either tweeter in the Spendors I'm repairing, though.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 24th Jun 2007 at 12:31 pm. Reason: General tidying.
Old 3rd Sep 2006, 10:58 am   #6
howard
Nonode

Hello Michael,

Looking through the web it looks if those Coles tweeters were used in Spendor loudspeakers from time to time. I hope you win them and that your BC1s sound right once fitted.

My Rogers LS7s also use the Celestion HF1300s tweeters (although later versions than those in your BC1s) and I have a spare set of all four units for my LS7s, obtained when Rogers went bust a few years back, touch wood I won't need to use them just yet as the original 23 year old units are still working fine.

Howard
Old 3rd Sep 2006, 10:31 pm   #7
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Howard,

Would the later HF1300s be suitable, and would you be prepared to sell me a pair. If so please PM me with a price. I am actually repairing the BC1s for someone so need to know cost before committing myself, especially as there are Bass problems too.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 24th Jun 2007 at 12:32 pm. Reason: General tidying.
Old 4th Sep 2006, 8:30 pm   #8
howard
Nonode

Hello Michael,

They won't fit your BC1s, I've just checked them and they have four screw fittings, not three .... which means they wont fit mine either The mid/bass drivers are the correct ones for my Rogers though. I do apologise for my mistake, they were given to me a few years back as spares for my LS7s, I only glanced at them then and then put them away in the loft.

You can try them if you like, but I really dont think they'll fit or sound right.

Howard

PS: If you cant get replacements, then there are folk listed on this website who will repair them.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/nuukspot/...dspeakers.html

Last edited by howard; 4th Sep 2006 at 8:42 pm.
Old 11th Sep 2006, 9:00 am   #9
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Exclamation Spendor BC1 Speakers(Again!)

Further to my earlier post I now realise that the unit I need is the COLES 4001 16 Ohm 'supertweeter' used in the above speakers, one of which is o/c. and probably almost impossible to repair, as the fine wire of the voice coil has fractured. Anyone know where I can get a 4001 or equivalent. The impedance must be 16 Ohm, and also the magnet diameter must not exceed 59mm (2.33") so as not to have to enlarge the hole in the front panel thru which it fits!
I seem to be having great difficulty finding these tweeters, either new or second hand
Old 11th Sep 2006, 1:27 pm   #10
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Spendor BC1 Speakers(Again!)

LW
Also known as STC4001. If you haven't spotted this, http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...threadid=42398 it may be of use.
Old 1st Oct 2006, 9:06 am   #11
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Spendor BC1 Speakers(Again!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
Further to my earlier post I now realise that the unit I need is the COLES 4001 16 Ohm 'supertweeter' used in the above speakers, one of which is o/c. and probably almost impossible to repair, as the fine wire of the voice coil has fractured. Anyone know where I can get a 4001 or equivalent. The impedance must be 16 Ohm, and also the magnet diameter must not exceed 59mm (2.33") so as not to have to enlarge the hole in the front panel thru which it fits!
I seem to be having great difficulty finding these tweeters, either new or second hand
1/10/06
In case anyone else needs 4001g(16 Ohm) Tweeters Coles still make them, and will supply in one-off quantities. Go to www.coleselectroacoustics.com or email sales@coleselectroacoustics.com for further information.
Closed Thread