UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 12th Nov 2009, 10:33 am   #21
Tim
Dekatron

Default Re: Farnell UK for components

Farnell are good but their website was very awkward and user unfriendly last time I HAD to use it.
RS, yes very good, and I can also recomend Rapid.
I have found Cricklewood electronics to be excellent too( and they sell high voltage AXIAL caps...........-like CPC/Farnell they do have a good range of Germanium transistors.
Old 12th Nov 2009, 10:53 am   #22
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I, too, use Farnell from time to time, find their website a bit difficult to use-service is good, though. Mostly I use Cricklewood Electronics, occasionally Rapid(Their service is, but their website, to me,is slow!), and very occasionally RS. I have had an account with CPC for over 10 years now, but use them less frequently these days.
Old 12th Nov 2009, 11:17 am   #23
Station X

I used Farnell recently and found that there was no minium order or postage charge, at least not for me. Does this apply to everyone? I don't think I have an account with Farnell.

I do have an account with RS and tend to use them for most of my requirements.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 12th Nov 2009, 3:37 pm   #24
mhennessy
Dekatron

That's interesting, Graham. I always thought the rules were pretty clear, but you prompted me to look at the T&Cs:

Quote:
The Company reserves the right to charge the following handling charges:
(i) £5.95 on all orders of £30 or under;
(ii) £4.25 on all orders over £30 but of £40 or under;
(iii) £1.99 on all orders over £40 but under £45.
My italics...

I wonder if this is at the discretion of the operative, or perhaps it's a distinct policy change in these tough times?
Old 12th Nov 2009, 3:41 pm   #25
Station X

I'm quite certain that the postage on the one item, a DC power plug, I bought must have cost Farnell more than they charged for the plug. As I was billed at the time I placed the online order this can't be an individual decision.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 12th Nov 2009, 6:56 pm   #26
kalee20
Dekatron

It is at the discretion of the company. At work, we use Farnell a lot and this came up last month when their rep came to see us. I pointed out that many of our orders come to well over £200, which are free carriage - and we would take a dim view if we placed 5 orders at £200 and then got hit by a carriage charge for the next order for an urgently-needed £25 item. So, as long as our buying pattern doesn't change, they do not impose this charge on us. Again, this is a hallmark of a fair-minded company.
Closed Thread