UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jul 2007, 5:01 pm   #1
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default R1155 Revival Radio Bygones

It may just be my impression but there appears to be an increasing amount of interest in these sets and installations, obtaining parts and even building Lancaster Bomber operating postion mock ups.

The current Radio Bygones mag has an excellent cover photo and article by Bo Samuelson [nr Stockholm] which may be of interest to any enthusiast on here that can get to see it. It's not a restoration analysis but more an overview. He builds a replica of the aircraft Aerial Plug board but uses computer stereo speakers to replace the output stage!

A good read particularly as I obtained one of these sets last month with the D/F parts intact. Bo says he plans to build a loop and restore this function to confirm Russia is to the east and where the broadcasting stations are really coming from as they now tend to relay each other! This use of the DF stage and incorporating computer gear shows there are always new approaches to be found even with sets that various generations have worked on since the forties. Dave
Old 30th Jul 2007, 8:14 pm   #2
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: R1155 Revival Radio Bygones

Dave,

there has been a great deal of interest in these sets for many years, as demonstrated by the extortionate prices they fetch on eBay. We have mad e plugboard in the maintenance section at work (took us three goes to get it right), and the special morse key bracket for the type 20 cabinet (used to house the 1155/1154 in marine applications). We also made a DF test set form the pictures in the AP, and photographs from the RAF museum.

Using computer speakers seems like a reasonable approach to the output stage problem (the 1155 is designed to operate into headphones), the other common option is to build a simple ouput stage and speaker into the power supply box.

Have fun with your set (assuming it doesn't drive you to distraction trying to repair it).

Jim.
Old 30th Jul 2007, 8:43 pm   #3
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Thanks Jim. You're right there has been a consistent interest over the years but I've just seen a lot of comment on here and elsewhere recently. I think I sold the last one I had for about £6 twenty five years ago so I wasn't about to pay out a fortune [even allowing for inflation]. Eventually I saw a private ad and after advising the chap on how to maximise his return he decided to let me have it for £50 instead [to my surprise]. Honesty pays I think! I still recommend Bo's article as it is so different from the usual style.
Cheers Dave
Old 31st Jul 2007, 8:12 pm   #4
Avro626
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Guys

I have just purchased an R1155 and a T1154, along with a few other bits - J Switch etc. to build a mock-up of a Lancaster Wireless Operator's position. My interest comes from the fact that my late uncle was a W/Op on Lancasters during WWII. He and his crew were killed when their Lancaster crashed in December 1944 and I have put together a display dedicated to the crew and their Squadron that I take around various air shows and aviation museum open days etc. I thought the mock-up would be an interesting exhibit within the display. I have to say that I am a complete novice when it comes to radio equipment but I'm learning fast as I search for parts. This forum as been extremely useful and is full of people willing to offer advice and help. Thanks guys.
Dave
Old 31st Jul 2007, 10:37 pm   #5
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

I have had my 1154/1155 for about 15 years, and have acquired most of the ancilliary parts (morse key, j switch, DF meter, external aerial ammeter), I also managed to find a pair of original ground based power supplies, but these are not for the faint hearted, weighing nearly 1cwt each, and containing large selenium rectifiers.

I have repaired the 1155, and now that I'm allowed to use HF on my G1 callsign, I really must get around to repairing the 1154.

Jim.
Old 17th Sep 2007, 4:35 pm   #6
repairman 1234
Retired Dormant Member

Hi All, I too have an 1155, i paid £50 for it about three years ago although i doubt if i will ever get it up and running (too many parts missing) it will make a nice display piece. Who knows, i may one day find an 1154 that i would not need a mortgage for and be able to put a lanc radio mans mock up together.

Chris.
Closed Thread