UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Feb 2020, 7:06 pm   #1
gazzyy58
Diode

Default Rockola 1454 jukebox selection problems

Hi, new member here. Looking for some advice regarding my latest purchase a Rockola jukebox model 1454 of 1956. Everything works fine but occasionally I get a missed selection. Other selections will play, then the mechanism will carry on to play the missed selections. So, in summary, the buttons are being depressed and sound like they are making contact, but some are not making the right connection to operate the drum/record carousel. However, once a good selection is made, the missed selections will eventually play. The missed selections are random and not in any sequence/pattern. Just wondering if anyone here had a similar problem and could offer some advice or steer me in the right direction. My initial thoughts are sticking pins or dirty contacts somewhere. Thanks Gary
Old 1st Feb 2020, 9:50 pm   #2
Lance G
Triode

Default Re: Rockola 1454 jukebox selection problems

From memory when you press the selection buttons the circuit thereby made has to "write in" to the selection plate which triggers one of the small selection levers (you can flick these across by hand triggering records to be picked up). This then "operates" the wobble plate, further triggering the carousel and mechanism which then rotates to "pick up" on the triggered selection lever, halting the mechanism and "writing out" the selection whereby the record is picked up and played.

I hope this makes some sort of sense ?!!!! I would not be surprised if I have confused you !

At what stage, more specifically what exactly happens when you make a failed selection ?
Old 1st Feb 2020, 11:34 pm   #3
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Default Re: Rockola 1454 jukebox selection problems

I’m not sure if this has any bearing to your machine as I’m not familiar with yours. But one very common problem I used to find was over oiling or dryed up oil on the selection pins or selection pin catch. This could cause your problems. I personally didn’t oil these parts. But has the WD40 brigade been at it? Andy
Closed Thread