UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jan 2020, 4:32 pm   #21
irishtv
Triode

Default Re: Gerry Wells 625 Telly

Yes I too would love to see a picture of these sets.
Old 10th Jan 2020, 11:36 pm   #22
Niechcial,Steve
Hexode

I've attached three pics of the set. It has a 24 inch tube. The back is made of peg board. The well made metal chassis is shown from both sides. Accessibility to the component side when the set is running is not as good as you might think because the shortness of the EHT and scan coil leads prevent it opening very far- all of them unplug to open the chassis further. The unshielded Lopt and valves bottom right are just waiting to get you as you peer round the back of the chassis. Up on the top right the three valves are a 30C1, and ECC82 and a PCL805. The pentode of the 30C1 is the sync separator. The rest between them are the line and frame oscillators and frame output. Line output is a PL36. The transistor tuner is fed by its own little mains transformer and regulator.
I haven't done much on this set yet. The good contrast I had initially has faded to a somewhat anaemic washed out picture. Did this IF strip originally get an extra stage of gain via the VHF tuner?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	External.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	196873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis 1 .jpg
Views:	247
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	196874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis 2.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	196875  
Old 10th Jan 2020, 11:41 pm   #23
linescan87
Heptode

What a wonderful looking television, I am jealous. Thanks for posting the pictures for us.

www.youtube.com/c/ojnojirishvintagetvandradio
Old 11th Jan 2020, 2:07 am   #24
FERNSEH
Dekatron

" Did this IF strip originally get an extra stage of gain via the VHF tuner? " According to the information in the 1963/64 Radio and Television servicing book the Sobell ST282 series of models with either rotary and push button tuners had an UHF position. The mixer valve functioned as an IF amplifier on UHF.

DFWB.
Old 11th Jan 2020, 8:26 am   #25
mark pirate
Dekatron

Very neat chassis, looks to be finished in Murphy blue
I wonder how many still exist?

Mark
Old 10th Feb 2020, 4:43 pm   #26
Niechcial,Steve
Hexode

I haven't really had much time to do anything on this. The main fault at moment is an interesting one. On a test card, the castellations and the whole of the first square of the testcard is missing on the left hand side of the picture. The right hand side is normal. I am not talking overscan of the raster. The only thing I can think of that would produce this sort of effect is a very slow flyback. This fault is accompanied by a lot of line tearing. I attach a photo of the LOPT from this set. Does anyone recognise it please?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gerry LOPT.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	198761  
Old 10th Feb 2020, 4:47 pm   #27
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Thorn 800/850 chassis or early Thorn 900.
Old 12th Feb 2020, 8:26 am   #28
Niechcial,Steve
Hexode

Thanks Dave.
Closed Thread