UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Sep 2019, 9:24 pm   #1
jaglufc
Retired Dormant Member

Default Anybody else use a home bluetooth FM transmitter?

Bought one of these from Amazon. Runs on battery or mains and is tiny. With a bit of clever positioning I can tune in to it pretty much anywhere in the house on any radio including my lovely Hacker. Podcasts, spotify etc all on my old radios.

I guess people may think it's daft and I should just get a bluetooth speaker but I want to collect and use these old radios, I love them. And converting one to a bluetooth speaker is not something I can stomach. Plus the radios have fantastic battery life, you're not going to get a year's life from a bluetooth speaker without charge

Just wondering if anybody else does similar?
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 9:40 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Anybody else use a home bluetooth FM transmitter?

Link pleas
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 9:47 pm   #3
jaglufc
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Link pleas
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I only didn't include it as I didn't want to be responsible if people buy it and are not happy with it. It works well for me though and there's a few other decent reviews on there too.
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 9:56 pm   #4
crackle
Rest in Peace

I use an FM transmitter to receive music from my PC when working up the shed or having a BBQ up the garden. It is not bluetooth, just plugs into the headphone socket of my PC. Its not new, probably about 10 or more years old now.
The internal 3 volt battery failed so I removed it, the transmitter is now working on the full 5 volts USB supply instead of being limited to 3 volts and the range has improved somewhat.
https://www.gadgetspeak.com/gadget/a...er_for_MP.html
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 1:31 am   #5
Boulevardier
Octode

I also use a cheap Chinese "kit" FM transmitter - works well on batteries, but when fed from a well regulated linear PS I get a hum on the audio that's pretty audible, but not unbearably intrusive. I've tried everything to remedy this - except running from a computer's USB socket. I've come to conclusion that it's probably just mains-borne modulation.

Mike
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 10:00 am   #6
paulsherwin

A large part of the forum membership will use an FM microtransmitter of some description. Not all are strictly legal, but there shouldn't be any problems if you take care not to cause a nuisance.
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 11:29 am   #7
vidjoman
Dekatron

There used to be loads of Radio Microphones that worked in the FM band on a standard tuner - usually at the 108Mcs end.
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 11:29 am   #8
PaulR
Dekatron

Interesting. I always assumed that they were all very short range such as the ones intended for in car use. I already use an AM transmitter within the house but an FM one do do the same thing would be useful for FM sets.

Edit - The Cygnett one doesn't seem to be available any more. Can anyone recommend one with a headphone socket type input and a similar range to an Sstran am unit?

Last edited by PaulR; 3rd Sep 2019 at 11:36 am.
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 11:51 am   #9
paulsherwin

Many people bought the Linex transmitter a few years ago. That has ideal range to cover a typical house without broadcasting to the whole street. Unfortunately they don't seem to be available now, though you may find one secondhand.

The transmitters sold for use in cars can be cracked open and a length of wire soldered to the PCB 'aerial'. This dramatically increases the range.

Any FM microtransmitter capable of covering a house is likely to be technically illegal, so the usual warnings about antisocial use apply.
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 1:26 pm   #10
stitch1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Many people bought the Linex transmitter a few years ago....
Yes I have one works wery well, a seller on eBay has them for £15, I think there's 2 on there now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaglufc View Post
Bought one of these from Amazon....
Thanks for sharing. The Linex (and another FX-120) I have are 3.5mm connectors which was OK until I got my new iPhone so I think I'll get one of these bluetooth ones too.

I also have a bluetooth receiver that I can connect into the GRAM sockets ... the future is wireless

John
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 8:14 pm   #11
jaglufc
Retired Dormant Member

The bluetooth one linked above meets my needs.

My phone can connect to it in any room in the house and my Hacker can pick it up in any room too.

It is really small too. I had wondered about fitting it inside the Hunter body itself and somehow powering it from the PP9 batteries but I'm not sure what that would do to battery life. It would essentially turn the radio into a beautiful bluetooth speaker whilst not butchering it or losing its radio capabilities.
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 9:48 pm   #12
pip5678
Pentode

Thanks for sharing this jaglufc, I didn't even know that Bluetooth to FM transmitters existed , this looks very handy and I have ordered one myself.
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 10:04 pm   #13
PaulR
Dekatron

There is only one transmitter on ebay now as I have bought the other one! Somewhat unexpected as I didn't know that such things were available until I saw this thread.