UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jun 2019, 12:00 pm   #21
Thripster
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Cossor transistor radio identification

Thank you Andrew, yes had spotted that site and from the photographs there I think I now know how to remove the PCB from the front panel. So, it is all beginning to fall into place.
Old 26th Jun 2019, 12:15 pm   #22
paulsherwin

Philips Denmark and Philips Sweden did make low volume high value products for other national subsidiaries. Scandinavian origins were a prestigious thing in the 1960s, possibly influenced by the perception of B&O and Tandberg.

For anyone who hasn't realised yet, Radiola is Philips France.
Old 26th Jun 2019, 12:34 pm   #23
crackle
Rest in Peace

Another one here https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/dux_sy...a_sa7243t.html
and another here https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/siera_sa7243t.html

Mike
Old 26th Jun 2019, 12:44 pm   #24
Thripster
Retired Dormant Member

if you look at the picture here of the PCB on my radio, it is virtually identical to that shown in Andrew's link. The only difference being that my version has the audio output jack mounted on the PCB whereas the Aristona variant is mounted and hardwired to the back panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-06-26 12.32.49.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	185733  
Old 26th Jun 2019, 12:53 pm   #25
Thripster
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Paul - I did not know that Radiola was Philips, France. Thank you Mike - looks like the Radiola gen is going to be the one I need.
Old 26th Jun 2019, 2:17 pm   #26
Thripster
Retired Dormant Member

OK, so some more photographs and some good and some irritating news!
Mike asked me for details of batteries and so I removed the battery cover and the batteries yet again. On the side of the battery case was a piece of brown paper smoothly stuck to the side (brown because it had been tarnished by leaking batteries) stating ' Cossor . CR7243T. Serial number 1903'. There we have it. Fabulous but very irritating. I am so sorry to have caused you any inconvenience. I have letters posted to various people asking about this radio.....doh! The reason I didn't see it is because I was looking at the battery compartment from the bottom edge of the radio, the label is small and dis-coloured and is stuck to the bottom edge of the compartment but no excuse really. It was interesting to discover the true identity independently but I have wasted your time and my time. Please forgive me.

The good news is, that in removing the PCB from the rear panel, I have disturbed the change over switches enough to obtain intermittent reception on MW (subtle pressure on the push switches is required to hear anything). Judging by the feel of the SW and LW buttons, the same intermittent connections are suspected though nothing could be heard no matter how long I tried. So, in due course, these will be removed and refurbished. With some work to do on two of the push button inserts I will then have a very reasonable, working example of this (what is for me a nostalgic item) radio.

Thank you all for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-06-26 13.18.33.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	185735   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-06-26 13.36.28.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	185736   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-06-26 13.38.39.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	185737   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-06-26 13.37.30.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	185738   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-06-26 13.37.11.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	185739  

Old 26th Jun 2019, 2:19 pm   #27
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
At the time this radio was made (early to mid 1960s), Cossor was a brand name used in the UK by Philips.

There will almost certainly be a Philips branded equivalent model, which will be identical internally to the Cossor badged radio. Although, your radio being made in Denmark, is a little unusual for a Cossor radio during the Philips "badge engineering" era.

A photo of the internals will assist in identifying the radio.
I missed the "Made in Denmark" and can't find that reference in earlier posts, but as this was one of the Philips factory locations where portable sets were made, it makes full sense.

Now, having viewed the pictures, the Danish origins are confirmed. The factory label on the PCB doesn't mention the model number (it does on Belgian made sets), but K00 refers to the unrevised design made in Kopenhagen. 30.65 means it was made in 1965, week 30. The 7243T model was indeed used by many second and third brands (there was a worldwide catalogue that various commercial organisations could pull models from, this one must have been in it), so CR7243T it is.

Last edited by Maarten; 26th Jun 2019 at 2:36 pm.
Old 26th Jun 2019, 2:41 pm   #28
crackle
Rest in Peace

A proposal for a new model, Cossor CR7243T, has been made in the Radio Museum, it should be approved soon.

Mike
Old 26th Jun 2019, 10:10 pm   #29
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
I missed the "Made in Denmark" and can't find that reference in earlier posts, but as this was one of the Philips factory locations where portable sets were made, it makes full sense.

No reference as such, but it's on the front of the set under "Cossor" in the first post pic.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 26th Jun 2019, 10:16 pm   #30
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post

No reference as such, but it's on the front of the set under "Cossor" in the first post pic.
I didn’t actually say that, Maarten did. Post 27.
Old 26th Jun 2019, 10:38 pm   #31
paulsherwin

Default Re: Cossor transistor radio identification. Identified as a CR7243T.

Quoting corrected.
Old 27th Jun 2019, 7:17 am   #32
Thripster
Retired Dormant Member

Whilst looking for the service sheet for my set, I found the following link, which is a Chinese site which looks to have many schematics (hate that word) for many radios. I haven't taken the offer to download for 5 yuan as my browser indicates that the site is not secure. For my own purposes, there is the possibility of downloading plans for the Aristona 7243T. I had to manually trawl through to page 48 of the tiny links at the bottom (the search facility directs you to the wrong page). Sure enough, there are the plans but I wonder whether it is wise to use them? Has anybody else discovered this seemingly vast resource? The site is described as radiofans.cn
Old 27th Jun 2019, 10:23 am   #33
paulsherwin

You have not posted a link.

Be very wary of sending money to obscure websites. If the service info isn't available from here, DocTSF or Radiomuseum then there's every chance that it just doesn't exist and the website is a scam.

You don't need full service info for every obscure model, just something reasonably close. Most common faults can be fixed without any service info at all.
Old 27th Jun 2019, 11:04 am   #34
Thripster
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you Paul, yes. I have posted a link but without www so that there is not a live link on here for exactly the reasons you mention. I don't think there is any risk looking at the colossal library of model numbers (I have stumbled upon one of their pages without incident) but leave that to you and so did not provide a live link. I agree that it would be foolish to pay for anything on that site especially as Google highlights it as a security risk. However, the site may be genuine but lax in some of its security protocols - it is hard to think that anybody/an institution would bother to collate thousands of model numbers and scan in schematics purely on the off-chance that somebody might register an interest in a specific radio/TV (in order to undertake a scam). All the same, I wouldn't pass on any of my personal details to this site. At this stage, just interesting to see how many model numbers they have. To give you an idea, each page has roughly 500 model numbers and there are at least 50 pages - 25,000 models. More interestingly perhaps is, where do they get all that information from?

Last edited by Thripster; 27th Jun 2019 at 11:12 am.
Old 27th Jun 2019, 11:17 am   #35
paulsherwin

It will have harvested resources from the internet. That's why it's risky - it may have identified model numbers from countless forum discussions and just created bogus 'service info' for them. I'm not suggesting that the site is definitely a scam, just that it may be.
Old 27th Jun 2019, 11:50 am   #36
Thripster
Retired Dormant Member

Understood. The information for the radio I am interested in seems genuine.
Closed Thread