UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Sep 2017, 5:14 pm   #1
harvestgold
Hexode

Default BSR C154 Speed change.

I recently had cause to strip down a BSR C154 auto changer, so I could re-paint the rusty metal. This was the first time I've bothered going so far in dismantling a changer, but the rest of the record player is so nice it seemed a shame not to!

I took lots of photos, but stupidly, managed to erase them all I've reassembled everything else by using another BSR deck as a reference and it's all working fine, following the inevitable de/regrease. However, I can't see how the speed change part is connected to the idler assembly and I haven't a similar deck to look at. I can't find a picture of the top side of the unit with the platter removed on the internet either.

This model has only two speeds with the 33 1/3 fixed for 12" records and the 45 set to 7" with a single control, so is different to the usual BSR setup and is presumably unique to the C154. Would someone be kind enough to photograph the top side of the deck, underneath the platter, please? It would be a great help!

Thank you! Neil.
Old 29th Sep 2017, 5:20 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: BSR C154 Speed change.

It's the underside you will need to look at as well. You can trace the speed linkage up through the metal baseplate through to the idler wheel support arm. By the time the C154 was made BSR's value engineering was rife, so there are many plastic linkage parts that may have started to degrade.
Old 29th Sep 2017, 6:35 pm   #3
harvestgold
Hexode

Default Re: BSR C154 Speed change.

Thank you for that, Edward. There are a couple of photos of the underside already on here, so it's just the top I need.

There is a long bent metal linkage which pivots through from the bottom to the top and is moved by the speed control lever. Above the deck, this linkage goes up and down as it should, but I have a flat spring and a small metal bracket left over!

The spring needs to put downward pressure on the linkage and there is a notch in the linkage for this spring to press against but I need to see where the spring should be fitted and if the small bracket is indeed part of the speed change setup.

The idler assembly (except for the wheel) is plastic on this model, but still seems to be okay. I don't think this player has had a huge amount of use.

Neil.
Closed Thread