UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Sep 2017, 8:34 pm   #1
cafcaddick
Retired Dormant Member

Default Rock-ola 481 Jukebox Power problem

Any electrical/jukebox experts

Have a Rock-ola 481 Max which was working fine a few months ago but has been unused for a while.

Plugged it in yesterday and everything seemed fine but after playing 3 or 4 records the mains power tripped at fuseboard. Switched power back on but immediately tripped again.

I have gone through pulling plugs that power different features - turntable, lights, speakers, amp - but kept tripping mains power after playing for a minute or so. Now the jukebox is completely dead BUT still trips mains power when switched on.

I have removed the outgoing plugs from the power supply so the fault must be related to the power coming in to the power supply unit.

My electrical skills are fairly limited but before I look at paying to have it looked at has anyone got any thought on what might be wrong.
Old 25th Sep 2017, 10:20 pm   #2
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Re: Rock-ola 481 Jukebox Power problem

If you have a service manual you should be able to trace the route of the power through the power supply. There may be an interference suppression capacitor wired across the mains. This is a safety critical component and must be of the correct type. Could be various other parts within the supply such as transformer, rectifiers etc. You will only find it by checking/testing each part.
Old 26th Sep 2017, 9:46 am   #3
Station X

Is it a Miniature Circuit Breaker (MCB) or Residual Current Device (RCD) which is tripping in the Consumer Unit (CU)?

If the former a Live to Neutral fault is likely. If the latter a Live or Neutral to earth fault.

Do you have a circuit for the PSU you could post on here?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 26th Sep 2017, 12:33 pm   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

I remember visiting a forum member's house to examine a Rock-Ola juke box that was blowing fuses, and it turned out to be a short-circuit mains filter capacitor.

It's an easy enough replacement. The machine will work without it, but you might be unpopular with your neighbours.
Old 27th Sep 2017, 1:37 pm   #5
cafcaddick
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the responses.

Station X - it is the RCD that's blowing so assume it is an earth fault.

julie_m - thanks for the tip on the capacitor. My brother was an electrician so gonna get him to check it.

Have attached scans of the wiring diagram for the power unit (gobbledy gook to me https://www.vintage-radio.net/images.../undecided.gif) and parts list for the Power distribution box. There's a MFD capacitor at number 66 - is this a possible problem or is it more likely a capacitor on either the Regulator or Rectifier boards attached to the distribution assembly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	150008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Dist Pic.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	150009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Dist Parts.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	150010  
Old 27th Sep 2017, 1:47 pm   #6
Station X

No obvious capacitors on the AC input side as far as I can see.

The lights are fed from the AC side of the the transformer, but you say you've unpluged them, so it can't be them at fault.

Your electrician friend should be able to carry a PAT test to show whether there's an earth fault.

EDIT. I see there's a 0.1uF capacitor wired to the light socket. You could try disconnecting it.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread