UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Sep 2017, 11:21 am   #1
paul llewellyn
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sobell SG670 stereogram circa 1958.

Hi folks. this is my first time on ANY forum so please bear with me. I have just bought a sobell stereogram which does not have a needle or the housing, there are 4 wires in the arm and that is all. Is it still possible to buy a replacement so that i can get my records playing again. Paul Llew
Old 25th Sep 2017, 12:15 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: sobell stereogram circa 1958

The simple answer is yes.....but!

The but depends on exactly what type of cartridge (the complete transducer plus stylus assembly that converts the mechanical stylus movement into an electrical signal) was fitted in the first place to your stereogram. Some types of cartridge are effectively unobtainium and may require modifications to the player to fit something else instead.

It may also depend on what sort of amplifier the stereogram has- older valve types may have some well known (luckily cheap) components whose failure can cause expensive to fix problems. So best starting advice there is don't turn it on just to see if it works if it's a valve model.

Can you say exactly what model the stereogram is?- There should be a label somewhere with a model or type number on it.

A good clear picture or two showing the underside of the business end of the arm that carries the cartridge and a general view of the record deck itself to identify the make/model is also very helpful since someone here will know what's what for just about any model.

Whatever is wrong with your player will be fixable, usually for a modest outlay but sometimes the best approach is simply to buy something else- if you just want to play vinyl records for a reasonable outlay there's plenty of affordable '70s-'80s hifi stuff about on auction sites and elsewhere.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 25th Sep 2017, 1:37 pm   #3
paul llewellyn
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Sobell stereogram circa 1958.

Thanks very much for that. The model no is SG670, sliding doors at the front, simply gorgeous. The turntable is grey/cream, everything works fine and it is in fantastic condition. Also the valve layout is given on the back panel. Many thanks, Paul Llew
Old 25th Sep 2017, 2:00 pm   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

The service data is here: http://www.service-data.com/section.php/7573/1/sg670
It has a BSR UA14 autochanger, originally fitted with a TC8S (which is now unobtainable) but any ceramic stereo cartridge should be OK.
Old 25th Sep 2017, 5:32 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Something like Ebay 352158248088 (paste the number into Ebay search box) should suit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...48088&_sacat=0

This version of the generic Chinese ceramic cartridge has got the all important mounting clip to adapt to standard two hole fixing which can be modified if needed for one hole type headshells.
.........O..Chris....O

Last edited by Station X; 25th Sep 2017 at 6:23 pm. Reason: Link added.
Old 25th Sep 2017, 6:29 pm   #6
paul llewellyn
Retired Dormant Member

You guys are amazing. With all the doom and gloom around these days its great to find people like you. For me, i could buy a modern record player but that would detract from looking at the thing lit up and the tone of the thing. Many thanks, Paul
Old 25th Sep 2017, 6:37 pm   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

If it was 1958, then the BSR Autochanger would have been the UA12. The original BSR TC8S was likely to have given more output than the Chinese cheapies (or the still available BSR SC11M or 12H), but there should be suffient gain from the amp to make up for this.
Old 25th Sep 2017, 6:38 pm   #8
paul llewellyn
Retired Dormant Member

Guys do you know what colour wires attach to which pins on the catridge. Cheers, Paul
Old 25th Sep 2017, 7:57 pm   #9
Michael Maurice

A word of warning.

Do not switch this radiogram on until it has been thoroughly checked and any old capacitors replaced. Most important is the main smoothing capacitor which must be reformed before using.

I recently serviced one of these where the customer plugged it in after a couple of decades lying dormant and this smoothing capacitor had exploded and made a right mess.

If you can't repair it yourself find someone who can.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 25th Sep 2017, 8:49 pm   #10
Clydeuk
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul llewellyn View Post
Guys do you know what colour wires attach to which pins on the catridge. Cheers, Paul
Can you tell us what colour wires you have?

From memory, BSR used Red and Green for one channel, White and Black for the other. I think the Red and White are + and the Green and Black are - (these 2 will be connected together on the tag strip below deck).

As mentioned, there are some components that will need checking/replacing if this hasn't already been done. Continuing to use this without having these checked will likely result in expensive damage.
Old 28th Sep 2017, 10:00 am   #11
paul llewellyn
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Sobell SG670 stereogram circa 1958.

thanks guys, sorry been away working. colours are red, black, blue and yellow (which possible might have been white in the past. i have used the radio part quite extensively over the last couple of months, but will get it service now. Cheers Paul, P.S the catridge has arrived from ebay (heres hoping).
Old 28th Sep 2017, 2:36 pm   #12
julie_m
Dekatron

Those leads will be: Red = RH +, Black = RH -, Yellow = LH +, Blue = RH -. The BSR TC8S had a common return pin but you should find both the black and blue wires are connected together (it's safe to test using a multimeter, as long as the machine is unpowered). The modern cartridge will be labelled on the top surface near the connecting pins showing which is which.
Old 29th Sep 2017, 8:30 am   #13
paul llewellyn
Retired Dormant Member

Great. Thanks very much
Closed Thread